A NBA game got a little batty last week when a confused-looking bat flew into the arena, interrupting play between the Indiana Pacers and the Los Angeles Clippers. Now, health officials say some people who attended the game may have been exposed to rabies. On Thursday (Feb. 7) a bat swooped into the Bankers Life Fieldhouse arena in Indianapolis and darted around the court and fans' seats. Videos of the game show officials and fans swatting at the bat with towels or even their hands to get the flying mammal to leave. Over the weekend, the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) issued a statement saying that anyone who had direct contact with the bat — meaning they touched the bat with their bare skin — may have been exposed to rabies, and these individuals should get in touch with the ISDH or their healthcare provider about receiving rabies vaccinations. So far, there have been no reports of anyone touching the bat with bare skin, the statement said. Rabies is a … [Read more...] about Bat on the Loose at NBA Game May Have Exposed Fans to Rabies
By Rex Crum | [email protected] | Bay Area News GroupFebruary 1, 2019 at 6:13 am the last 25 years of Super Bowl halftime shows stack up?…A 250-million year-old iguana-sized dinosaur ancestor called the “Antarctic King” is found in, well, Antarctica…If you aren’t going to vaccinate your kids against measles, you better expect to get an earful from social media when you seek out a way to protect your kids from the disease that is seeing a resurgence this year…And measles isn’t the only disease on the rise, as rabies cases are up in Florida. Report an error Policies and Standards Contact Us … [Read more...] about Off Topic: Super Bowl halftime shows; ‘Antarctic King’, measles and rabies
More working farmers needed financial help in 2018, says rural charity RABI. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY Archant More working farmers and their families need financial support as low income, debt, illness, evictions, extreme weather and problems with subsidy payments continue to beset their industry, said a rural charity. Alicia Chivers, chief executive, Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution (RABI) Picture: RABIThe Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution (RABI) says it saw a 47pc rise in the amount it paid out to farm workers and their dependants last year compared to 2017 – and expects that trend to continue.The charity gave out £437,825 in grants to 215 working families in 2018, a significant increase on 2017’s figure of £297,000. In total, it paid out around £2.22m to 1,248 individuals and their families in financial need in England and Wales during 2018.In Suffolk it paid £136,116 to a total of 41 farmers and their families compared to … [Read more...] about More farmers needed financial help in 2018, says charity RABI
A Virginia woman died of rabies after being bitten by a dog infected with the virus in India, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed. It happened last spring, after the 65-year-old returned home from an extended stay in India for a yoga retreat. She's the ninth U.S. resident to die of rabies after being exposed to the disease while traveling abroad since 2008, according to the CDC.In a case study published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), doctors said the woman first began experiencing symptoms on May 3, 2017. She reported pain and a tingling sensation in her right arm while gardening. Three days later she went to an urgent care facility where she was misdiagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome.The next day, her symptoms worsened and she was hospitalized with shortness of breath, anxiety, insomnia, and difficulty swallowing water. Her test results appeared normal and doctors treated her for a presumed panic attack. She was … [Read more...] about Virginia woman dies from rabies after dog bite in India
When a Virginia woman went to the emergency room with shortness of breath, anxiety, sleeping troubles and difficulty swallowing water, doctors thought she was having a panic attack. But her symptoms were actually due to something much rarer: she had a rabies infection — one that would prove fatal — which she contracted from a dog bite while on a yoga retreat in India, according to a new report. The case marks only the ninth time in the past decade that a person has died from rabies in the U.S. from an infection acquired abroad, according to the report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The tragic case highlights the need for travelers to be aware of the risks of rabies when visiting certain countries and to receive "preexposure" rabies vaccines before travel when recommended, the report said. [The 9 Deadliest Viruses on Earth] The report is published in the Jan. 4 issue of the CDC journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. The 65-year-old … [Read more...] about Doctors Thought a Woman Was Having a Panic Attack. She Actually Had Rabies.