In 2017 Volvo marked itself as something of a pioneer in the auto industry when then-CEO Hakan Samuelsson announced that the company would focus on electrification in the coming years, with a goal of selling a million electrified cars by 2025. It’s not doing too badly in that regard—already in 2021 a quarter of its sales were plug-in hybrids or battery-electric vehicles , which grew to one in three during 2022.
But there’s plenty more to come. Today, Reuters reported that Volvo has six new EVs in development to go on sale by 2026.
We’ve already seen the first of these unveiled— the EX90 SUV . This will use Volvo’s new SPA2 architecture , to be built in South Carolina next year, and features an advanced suite of sensors, including roof-mounted lidar.
According to Reuters, the XC90 will be followed by EV replacements for the S60 and S90 sedans and the XC40 and XC60 SUVs. (Reuters also writes that there’s an EV version of the XC90 SUV coming, but I confess that last one confuses me as I am pretty sure that’s the EX90.)
The sixth model will be a Volvo van based on the Zeekr 009, an imposing electric brick-on-wheels that’s only sold in China. Reuters says that development for the van, as well as the electric sedans, has moved to its Shanghai R&D center as opposed to its base in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Volvo says that by 2030 it will be a purely electric car brand.
- BEST gets 26 new electric buses under FAME India scheme
- Ford’s iconic Transit van turns green with new electric version costing just 4p a mile to run and tech that doesn’t age
- Everything we know about GM's 11 wild new electric vehicles
- Harley-Davidson’s new electric bikes look incredible — but they won’t be cheap
- New electric scooters allowed on footpath and road, but not cycle lanes
- Over 2,500 new products, technologies debut at China hi-tech fair
- Faraday Future CES 2016 event: our first glimpse at a new electric car maker
- Volvo Drops New Cars To Train First Responders In Occupant Recovery: Here Are All Details
- Pravaig Extinction Electric Car To Be Unveiled Next Month: Here Are The Details
- From an electric Porsche to Land Rover's first new 4WD in 72 years and Hyundai's $90k Lexus challenger: Australia's best cars for 2020 - and some are VERY affordable
- 2021 Volvo S60 Sedan Unveiled: India Launch Scheduled For March Next Year
- Electric cars may promise us a greener future but they are a non-starter until they make one I can drive to Scotland in: ROSS CLARK on why Boris's new initiative needs a rethink
- Tesla Joins S&P 500 as Electric Car Stocks Surge
- Inflated electricity bills | Taapsee Pannu, Huma Qureshi and other stars express shock
- GM is increasing spending to $27 billion to make 40% of its cars electric by 2025
- Regional disparities in electric car-charging points revealed
- Philips Sonicare electric toothbrushes on sale from $60 for Black Friday
- PG&E Appoints Patricia Poppe As New CEO
- The new Mini Cooper JCW GP is quirky and quick, but not worth the cost
- Justin Bieber and Shawn Mendes unveil moody new artwork for their latest collaboration Monster
Six new electric Volvos will debut by 2026 have 506 words, post on arstechnica.com at February 2, 2023. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.