On Monday's broadcast of the Fox Business Network's "Kudlow," Senate Minority Whip Sen. John Thune (R-SD) argued that there need to be budgetary consequences for Congress failing to pass budget and appropriations bills and waiting until the end of the year to ram through spending using the threat of a shutdown.
Thune stated, [relevant remarks begin around 3:30] "[W]e have to have an orderly process that allows this work to get done earlier in the year. We can't get up against the Christmas holiday and just then have them say, take this or leave it or we're going to shut the government down."
He added that "the problem with the current budget law, and with the appropriations process for that matter too, is there's no consequence to not doing it. And that's why we've got to reform the budget process so that there is actually some cost associated. You miss the deadlines, you blow by the deadlines, we don't do a budget resolution, we never do budget resolutions, then don't do appropriation bills. And then, here we are, at the end of the year, with the Democrats holding the good cards because they use the year-end as leverage. … And the only way we're going to fix that is to start dealing with these issues on the front end, earlier in the year. And I think, in order to do that, if you're going to — you've got to have some enforcement mechanisms in there. And they just don't exist today."
Thune further said that there has to be something that limits spending, and sequestration worked in the past.
Follow Ian Hanchett on Twitter @IanHanchett
- 14 Reasons Why 80 Percent Of New Business Partnerships Would Fail Within Their First 5 Years Of Exis
- The Delicate Art of Balancing The Budget
- Biggest Budget Blunders
- Why You Should Start Budgeting Your Finances For Yourself And Family
- Budgeting Tips to Save Real Money
- Seven Household Budgeting Tips
- Financial Planning (Organizing your Budget)
- Budget Planning - It's Elementary My Dear Watson
- Tips For Successful Budgeting
- New Year 2007 - Hopes, Dreams, Learning and Human Relations
- Micahel Coleman Author of Keep Your God Waiting Is Interviewed
- Budgeting For Your Success
- Scrapbooking On A Time Budget
- The eCommerce Solution Guide - Easy UK eCommerce on a Budget
- The Top Ten Worst Work at Home Scams Part 2
- Profits and Pitfalls of Working with India
- Why Does Project Management Fail?
- Work Life Balance And The Power of Positive Thinking
- Success Coaching On a Budget
- South African History (The Ending of Apartheid) - Part 7
Thune: There Has to Be 'Consequence' for Failing to Pass Budget and Waiting until End of the Year, Sequestration Worked Before have 435 words, post on www.breitbart.com at December 6, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.