The planned production cut comes after Tesla reported record sales in China for November.
The Tesla representative replied “false news,” without elaborating. The spokesman did not reply to Reuters questions about whether Tesla was denying any output reduction would take place or whether the move was linked to weaker demand.
Tesla shares were down 2.1 percent in premarket trading in New York, off earlier lows after the company’s statement.
Inventory l ev els at Tesla’s Shanghai plant rose sharply after it completed an upgrade of the manufacturing facilities in the summer, with EV inventory increasing at its fastest pace ever in October.
The US automaker has cut prices for Model 3 and Model Y cars by up to 9 percent in China and offered insurance incentives, which helped boost November sales of its China-made cars by 40 percent from October and by 89.7 percent compared to a year earlier.
Tesla delivered 100,291 China-made EVs in November, the highest monthly sales since its Shanghai factory opened in late 2020, Xinhua reported citing Tesla.
The company’s high inventory levels in Shanghai come as China’s auto market faces slowing demand and disruptions to local supply chains.
Uncertainty over when China will make significant moves to relax its “dynamic zero-COVID” strategy has clouded the outlook for the world’s largest car market, though some Chinese cities have taken steps to ease some restrictions following protests in recent weeks.
Globally, Tesla had planned to push production of the Model Y and Model 3 EVs sharply higher in the fourth quarter as newer factories in Austin, Texas and Berlin ramp production, Reuters reported in September.
The carmaker plans to start production of a revamped version of Model 3 in the third quarter of 2023 in Shanghai, as it aims to cut production costs and boost the appeal of the five-year-old electric sedan, Reuters has reported.
- Tesla to keep output at upgraded Shanghai plant below maximum
- Tesla to keep output at upgraded Shanghai plant below maximum: sources
- Tesla output forecast shows jump in Q4, growth through 2023
- Tesla weighs reset for China retail strategy even as sales boom
- Tesla installs record 4K EV supercharger stations globally
- Tesla Is Finally Ramping Up Model Y Production in Germany
- GM’s Tiny EV Keeps Outselling The Tesla Model 3 In China
- Tesla's German battery plant and land extension on track - mayor
- Tesla's per-car production cost down to $36,000, cheaper model and robotaxi still on the roadmap
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk showcases humanoid robot at event
- Watch: Elon Musk showcases humanoid robot at Tesla AI event
- tesla: Tesla completes production capacity expansion at Shanghai plant, says Shanghai government
- Musk humiliated for choosing Germany over UK as locals call for Tesla plant to be scrapped
- Tesla's logistical challenges overshadow record deliveries
- AI Ethics And AI Laws Reveal Troubling Concerns From Tesla’s AI Day Showcase And The Ever Expanding AI Ambitions Of Elon Musk
- Tesla's quarterly electric vehicle deliveries miss estimates
- Tesla Buyers Keep Buying Teslas
- California Has a Bill to Go After Tesla’s Self-Driving Claims
- Tesla AI Day 2022: Musk Promises Optimus Humanoid Robot For Under $20,000
- Tesla’s Quarterly EV Deliveries Jump 42%–But Miss Bullish Expectations
tesla: Tesla cuts output plan for Shanghai plant for December have 582 words, post on www.gadgetsnow.com at December 5, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.