MSNBC's Joy Reid said Wednesday on her show "The ReidOut" that she believed Republicans want to portray Thanksgiving as a "simplistic fairytale" to cover up for America being founded on "violence" and "genocide."
Reid said, "We begin tonight with Thanksgiving, the day we gather with friends and family to enjoy turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. We throw on the game and catch up on our lives and discuss or quite possibly argue about religion and politics. For millions of Americans, it's a day of cherished tradition. As Americans, we value those traditions."
She continued, "But it is also to unpack the myth of Thanksgiving. It is a holiday riddled with historical inaccuracies. It is built on this myth that the indigenous welcomed their colonizers with open arms and ears of corn. A simplistic fairytale interpretation of a 1621 encounter between indigenous tribes and English settlers that erases the genocide that followed. It's the truth that Republicans want banned from our textbooks. Because here is the secret they want so desperately to keep, we are a country founded on violence. Our birth was violent. In 1619, a ship with more than 20 enslaved Africans landed in Virginia, ushering in two centuries of American slavery that left millions in chains or dead. When those humans in bondage were finally free, a terrorist organization that was a card-carrying member of polite society, The Ku Klux Klan, picked up where the Civil War ended using violence to maintain white supremacy."
Reid added, "The Klan is still active, and as Americans, we continue to choose violence. We are a country that chooses violence over and over again. There is no facet of American society that is untouched by it."
Follow Pam Key on Twitter @pamkeyNEN
- There's 'material chance' Trump will be removed from office, says MSNBC guest
- POLITICO Playbook: Where we are after 3 weeks of impeachment
- Tammy Bruce: Trump haters consumed with rage, spew unhinged rhetoric
- Impeachment dominates, but much other work awaits Congress
- Reaganism Was the Remedy America and the World Needed
- Fact check: Trump made 87 false claims last week
- The chronicles of Rudy and Don
- POLITICO Playbook: The photo of the arrest at Dulles
- The New Bedroom Furniture Colors For The Coming Holidays
- Solskjaer will ease United youngsters into Premier League action
- About 300 turkeys handed out at Downsview Park Merchants Market
- The dangerous myth of the ‘bad border’ in Northern Ireland
- New California law allowing childhood sexual assault victims more time to report draws widespread praise
MSNBC's Reid: GOP Trying to Keep Thanksgiving 'Simplistic Fairytale' to Erase Genocide have 420 words, post on www.breitbart.com at November 24, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.