Microsoft's SMB server service on Windows 11 has been given an update aimed at making it better at defending against brute-force attacks.
In the operating system's latest Windows 11 2022 update , the Insider Preview Build 25206, recently pushed to the Dev Channel, SMB authentication rate limiter is enabled by default.
What's more, a couple of other settings have been tweaked to make these attacks "less effective".
“With the release of Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25206 Dev Channel today, the SMB server service now defaults to a 2-second default between each failed inbound NTLM authentication,” Ned Pyle, Principal Program Manager in the Microsoft Windows Server engineering group, said in a blog post (opens in new tab) announcing the news.
“This means if an attacker previously sent 300 brute force attempts per second from a client for 5 minutes (90,000 passwords ), the same number of attempts would now take 50 hours at a minimum.”
In other words, by toggling the feature on, there is a delay between each unsuccessful NTLM authentication attempt, making the SMB server service more resilient to brute-force attacks.
“The goal here is to make a Windows client an unattractive target either when in a workgroup or for its local accounts when joined to a domain,” Microsoft’s Amanda Langowski and Brandon LeBlanc chimed in.
The authentication rate limiter, which is not enabled by default, was first introduced to Windows Server, Windows Server Azure Edition, and Windows 11 Insider builds, some six months ago. The SMB server, on the other hand, does launch automatically on all versions. It needs to be exposed to the internet, though, by manually opening a firewall.
Those interested in trying out the new feature need to run this PowerShell command:
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -InvalidAuthenticationDelayTimeInMs n
“This behavior change has no effect on Kerberos, which authenticates before an application protocol like SMB connects. It is designed to be another layer of defense in depth, especially for devices not joined to domains such as home users,” Pyle also said
- These are the best endpoint protection (opens in new tab) services right now
- Ransomware crooks hit Synology NAS devices with brute-force password attacks
- Neiman Marcus Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection
- Neiman Marcus becomes 2nd major retailer to seek Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Security experts ask internet users to better protect themselves
- Dominic Raab issues thinly-veiled warning to Russia and China as he condemns 'predatory' hacking attacks on UK and US organisations battling coronavirus - saying criminals and 'hostile states' are exploiting the crisis
- Is COVID-19 the next 9/11 health crisis?
- 9/11 saw much of our privacy swept aside. Coronavirus could end it altogether
- Attackers can bypass fingerprint authentication with an ~80% success rate
- 'OBAMAGATE!' Donald Trump steps up his attacks on his predecessor for leaked call slamming his 'chaotic' coronavirus response
- What Is a Man-in-the-Middle Attack?
- Premier League January transfer window grades (video)
- COVID-19 attack on US worse than Pearl Harbour, 9/11: Trump
- US Special Forces hostages give signal they are LYING: Airan Berry, 41, looks up quickly when asked if his human rights are being respected on Venezuelan TV day after Luke Denman, 34, looked off screen as he said Donald Trump ordered coup
- Space Force first trailer: Steve Carell hilariously sings and dances to the Beach Boys as he leads creation of sixth branch of armed services
- Security forces on red alert over terror bombing threat in Kashmir
- WHO Says COVID-19 Is Bringing Out the 'Best and Worst of Us' As Essential Workers Around the World Are Attacked Doing Their Job
- Nice attack is a crisis for presidency of François Hollande
- Taliban Attack Kills 6 Afghan Army Men
- Joe Swash shares sweet photo with lookalike son Rex, 11 months, during family walk in the woods.... as girlfriend Stacey Solomon admits she missed her period in candid post
- Police force that failed to charge Ahmaud Arbery's killers has a 'track record of corruption', faced 17 lawsuits in the past decade, had its drug force dismantled and locals say it is 'a good old boys club'
Windows 11 now has much better protection against brute-force attacks have 680 words, post on www.techradar.com at September 22, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.