A delegation of U.S. lawmakers landed in Taiwan early Sunday morning, flying in 12 days after a visit by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that riled Beijing.
Plans for the two-day visit reportedly include a meeting in the capital Taipei with President Tsai Ing-wen.
Reuters reports the de facto local U.S. embassy confirmed the delegation is being led by Senator Ed Markey (D-MA). Accompanying him are four other lawmakers on what it described as a larger diplomatic sweep through the Indo-Pacific region.
Taiwan's presidential office said the group would meet Tsai on Monday morning, the report outlined, in a show of support coming the wake of Pelosi's own brief tour.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) landed in Taipei, Taiwan, late Tuesday evening local time. https://t.co/m3Ynb4grtj
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) August 2, 2022
"Especially at a time when China is raising tensions in the Taiwan Strait and the region with military exercises, Markey leading a delegation to visit Taiwan once again demonstrates the United States Congress' firm support for Taiwan," it said in a statement.
Earlier a Taiwanese broadcaster showed video of a U.S. government plane landing about 7 p.m. Sunday at Songshan Airport in Taipei, the Taiwanese capital, AP reports .
— Disclose.tv (@disclosetv) August 14, 2022
The other members of the delegation are Republican Rep. Aumua Amata Coleman Radewagen, a delegate from American Samoa, and Democratic House members John Garamendi and Alan Lowenthal from California and Don Beyer from Virginia, according to the report.
As Breitbart News reported, Communist China has long claimed democratic, self-ruled Taiwan as its territory.
It responded to Pelosi's visit earlier this month by sending missiles, warships and jet fighters around Taiwan for several days afterward. Those intrusions have only recently started to wind down although some commercial air travel in the region is still to be resolved.
The Chinese government objects to Taiwan having official contact with any and all foreign governments, particularly representatives that have a high proximity to power like Pelosi.
Follow Simon Kent on Twitter: Follow @SunSimonKent or e-mail to: [email protected]
- European lawmakers visit Taiwan, brushing off China's warnings
- EU lawmakers push for closer ties with Taiwan amid rising Chinese pressure
- Taiwan war fears: China warned troops to return in body bags 'Horrific casualties!'
- China on war footing as it beefs up three air bases near Taiwan amid WW3 fears, satellite images suggest
- China puts military on ‘high alert’ as state media fires ‘DOOMSDAY’ warning at Taiwan amid fears of invasion & WW3
- French senators visit Taiwan amid China tensions
- EU lawmakers meet Taiwan premier in first official visit
- Beijing to double aircraft carrier strength amid South China Sea tensions
- US-China tensions evident as Biden heads to twin summits
- How 'wolf warrior' diplomats have become symbols of the threat posed by a rising China
- India nuclear missile: China tensions surge as weapon with 'very high' accuracy test-fired
- US to deepen relation with Taiwan in face of China tensions
- U.S. and South Korea Start Trade Talks Amid Rising Tensions
- Taiwan invasion looms as new terrifying satellite images hints at Chinese air strikes plot
- China's military might could easily overthrow Taiwan - staggering difference laid bare
- 'Stop working with Biden!' China furious as EU provokes Beijing with Taiwan move
- Global crash warning: China panics as one of world biggest property firms on brink of ruin
- India tests nuclear-capable missile amid tensions with China
- BBC's Ros Atkins delivers withering verdict on Taiwan and China war threat
- China vows no concessions on Taiwan after Biden comments
U.S. Lawmakers Land in Taiwan amid Rising China Tensions have 602 words, post on www.breitbart.com at August 14, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.