Friday on CNN's "New Day," Rep. Peter Meijer (R-MI) discussed his GOP primary loss to Trump-endorsed John Gibbs earlier this week after the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) promoted his opponent.
Meijer, who voted to impeach former President Donald Trump, said he wasn't going to "whine" about the DCCC "meddling" but did tell Democrats to not "expect to be able to hold on to that sense of self-righteousness and sanctimony" after supporting a Trump-backed candidate.
"I will be honest — it's impossible to know," Meijer replied when asked if the DCCC made the difference in the close race. "I can Monday morning quarterback all day long. I'm not here to whine about the DCCC coming in and meddling, but just to point out that any party that pretends to have a set of principles, any party that pretends to have a set of values and that comes in and boosts exactly the same type of candidate that they claim is … a threat to democracy, don't expect to be able to hold on to that sense of self-righteousness and sanctimony. Don't expect to have Republicans who will look at that and say, 'You know, I know I'm going to get heat from my own side.’"
"I never expected the other side to as well double down in a cynical ploy to put forward the candidate they think is less electable," he continued. "I think the challenge in this moment, and this is not why I want to complain about my own defeat, I lost, that's on me, but it's to say what type of a system are we going to have if candidates step forward and realize that they can just be ejected by both sides of the aisle, that there is no incentive to try to be a productive member, that you will never find any semblance of comfort or safety in doing the job, that it all will come down to partisan benefit no matter what the consequence."
Follow Trent Baker on Twitter @MagnifiTrent
- Self-Driving Cars Will Be Ready Before Our Laws Are
- A Temporary Tattoo That Senses Through Your Skin
- Comments for : The next Apple iPhone expected to bask in huge demand, component production to begin soon?
- Comments for : Motorola DROID 4 appears...with LTE support
- In the new age of game development, gamers hold the reins
- Comments for : Poll: What is it that is holding Sony's lower-ends back?
- Comments for : Samsung Galaxy S IV rumor: expect 1080p, not an "unbreakable" display
- Tom Hanks swoops in to save us on a great
- Beating the Winter Gaming Blues
- I paid $300 for DNA-based fitness advice and all I got was junk science
- Comments for : T-Mobile says the Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 are already more successful than the S5 and M8
- Comments for : And Brexit for all: Samsung may happen to leave its London headquarters
- Comments for : Deja Vu all over again as Verizon rejected first crack at Google Phone?
- Movies we hope don’t suck 2014 edition
- Comments for : Will Google's Pixel-perfect HTC deal be more successful than the run with Motorola?
- John Bolton and Mike Pompeo Are Headed for a Clash
- Leslie Marshall: Hey, Democrats, want to beat Trump? Here are my top 10 tips for the next debate
- Wikipedia co-founder’s 8,000-word essay on how to build a better Wikipedia
- Comments for : Thanks to Android 2.2, Nexus One runs 450% faster?
- Thanks to Android 2.2, Nexus One runs 450% faster?
Meijer to Dems After DCCC Supported His Opponent: 'Don't Expect to Be Able to Hold on to that Sense of Self-Righteousness' have 588 words, post on www.breitbart.com at August 5, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.