President Joe Biden reacted Monday to China's escalating aggression near Taiwan in response to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's trip to the island.
"I'm not worried but I'm concerned that they're moving as much as they are," Biden told reporters. "But I don't think they're going to do anything more than they are."
The president reacted to China's actions as he left Delaware for a trip to eastern Kentucky, where the state has experienced devastating flooding.
After Pelosi left Taiwan, China responded by conducting live-fire drills in the surrounding waters of the island.
The White House condemned China's actions as "irresponsible" and Secretary of State Anthony Blinken signaled his disapproval of the military operations as "extreme" and "disproportionate."
China announced further military drills on Monday after condemning the United States for provoking the conflict.
"The current tense situation in the Taiwan Strait is entirely provoked and created by the U.S. side on its own initiative, and the U.S. side must bear full responsibility and serious consequences for this," defense ministry spokesman Wu Qian said .
Biden initially signaled his opposition to Pelosi's planned trip to Taiwan, but ultimately defended the trip after it was clear she would not be deterred.
- US China tensions didn't begin with the coronavirus. They've been building for years
- Taiwan Wants to Buy Even More U.S.-Made Weapons As China Threat Grows
- China Expert Michael Pillsbury: Joe Biden Stopped Obama from Doing Navy Patrols in South China Sea
- Taiwan's success in fighting coronavirus has bolstered its global standing. This has infuriated Beijing
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: Tara Reade speaks after Biden denies assault allegations
- US 'would lose a war with China fought in the Pacific, is unable to defend Taiwan from an invasion and there are fears the Guam military base is at risk NOW', Pentagon sources warn
- China warns France not to sell weapons to Taiwan
- Donald Trump claims Joe Biden was a 'big unmasker' as Obama's VP revealed to have had Mike Flynn's name unmasked - then tears into 'sleazebags' and claims 'this was all Biden, we caught them'
- The Hill's Coronavirus Report: Miami mayor worries about suicide and domestic violence rise; Trump-governor debate intensifies
- Trump and Biden signal bitter general election with latest attack ads
- The Hill's Campaign Report: Biden campaign staffs up
- White House adviser: 'I'm glad Mr. Obama has a new job as Joe Biden's press secretary'
- Biden campaign goes on hiring spree
- GOP Senate chairman to hold subpoena vote next week in Biden-Burisma probe
- Trump takes cautious approach to highlighting Biden accuser
- US increases military pressure on China as tensions rise over pandemic
- Photos: US Warship Sails Through Taiwan Strait Before Separatist President’s Inauguration
- Lindsey Graham will NOT meet Donald Trump's call to summon Barack Obama for questioning about Mike Flynn's prosecution as he cites 'executive privilege' concerns after Trump demands '50-year sentences'
- Victor Davis Hanson: Biden the albatross — this is why Democrats are worried about their apparent nominee
- Coronavirus pandemic has changed how Australians see China and the United States
Joe Biden on China Military Drills in Taiwan: 'I'm Not Worried but I'm Concerned' have 517 words, post on www.breitbart.com at August 8, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.