Stranger Things season 4 has officially entered the Netflix billionaire’s club.
Following the release of season 4's final two episodes on July 1, the latest entry in the Duffer Brothers' acclaimed sci-fi show has become the biggest English-language Netflix series of all time and the first to rack up over one billion viewing hours in its first 28 days of release.
As per the streamer's most recent popularity rankings (opens in new tab) , Stranger Things season 4 accrued almost twice as big an audience as the second-most popular English-language Netflix series, Bridgerton season 2 (which earned 656 million viewing hours in its opening month), and has so far registered around half a billion more viewing hours than Stranger Things season 3 managed in the same period.
Stranger Things season 4 is now second only to Squid Game on the list of the streamer's most popular TV series, period, and although episodes 1-7 will no longer count towards the show's running total, episodes 8 and 9 still have the power to dethrone Hwang Dong-hyuk’s dystopian survival drama if they continue to rake in the viewers.
At the time of writing, Stranger Things season 4 has racked up an almighty 1.15 billion first-month viewing hours – but Squid Game achieved an even more eye-watering 1.65 billion figure (for perspective, that means audiences spent more than 182,000 cumulative years watching the show in its first four weeks of release).
Can Stranger Things really dethrone Squid Game?
As mentioned, Stranger Things season 4 volume 2 will continue to grow the season's total first-month viewing figures until its 28-day release window elapses on July 28. To eclipse Squid Game, episodes 8 and 9 will need to generate almost exactly 500 million more viewing hours in just over four weeks.
That's certainly a tall order for the Hawkins gang – but not an impossible one. Stranger Things season 4 volume 2 has time on its side; episodes 8 and 9 boast a combined runtime of approximately four hours, which means that, by our amateur calculations, around 125 million more people will need to tune in to – or rewatch – the season finale (you know what to do, Eddie Munson fans).
Whether Stranger Things season 4 manages the feat or not – for what it's worth, this writer is betting on the enduring dominance of Squid Game – the success of the latest entry in the Duffer Brothers' beloved sci-fi series will come as a welcome reprieve for Netflix, which has endured a rocky 2022 amid subscribers losses and mass show cancelations .
Season 4's handsome viewing figures also bode well for Stranger Things season 5, which will mark the show's last mainline outing. Rumors have suggested that the Stranger Things universe could continue in future feature films and spin-off shows, but no upcoming projects have been confirmed as yet.
- Millie Bobby Brown was among THREE Stranger Things stars who were meant to be killed off
- How Netflix's Ghoul Came to Be: 14 Hours a Day for Over a Month in a 'Leaky, Damp, and Horrible Smelling' Place
- Netflix shares soar after record growth
- Why Netflix isn’t worried about the streaming wars
- Netflix Investors Are Bracing for Another Disappointing Quarter
- Netflix to make movies in Italy with Berlusconi's Mediaset
- UPDATE 2-Netflix to make movies in Italy with Berlusconi's Mediaset
- Netflix bids farewell to original Wii as Nintendo ends streaming on console from January
- Airtel Offers 3-Month Netflix Access on Select Postpaid, Broadband Plans
- The Game Awards 2018 announcements: Dragon Age 4 and Far Cry: New Dawn headline new game reveals
- Best horror movies to watch including Netflix's scariest films
- Netflix and grill? The best food shows are Japanese and Korean dramas
- Netflix sets sights on cinemas as streaming giant unveils new tactics to show blockbusters on the big screen
- Ten things you'll only know if you went to Progress in Derby
- No-deal Brexit could block Netflix when travelling abroad
- Behind the Scenes on Netflix’s New Austin-Made, Mexico-Set Anime
- 10 things to do this week in Northern Ireland
- Why Netflix’s ‘Rhythm + Flow’ is huge for hip-hop, and Cardi B is the new Simon Cowell
- Stranger Danger: Still the right message for children?
- Warren Gatland's Wales record analysed: The perceptions and the facts
Stranger Things 4 is demolishing Netflix records – but can it eclipse Squid Game? have 675 words, post on www.techradar.com at July 6, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.