A red flag law, a waiting period for gun purchases, licensing requirements, and numerous other gun controls did not prevent the July 4, 2022, Highland Park attack.
Mike Bloomberg's Everytown for Gun Safety lists Illinois as the state with the sixth most stringent gun laws in the country.
Moreover, Gabby Giffords gun control group gives Illinois a grade of A- on gun control.
Illinois has a red flag law, a waiting period for gun purchases, gun owner licensing, domestic violence gun laws, "open carry regulations," and numerous other gun controls.
The gun owner licensing is done via Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) cards. Only those with a FOID card can legally buy and possess a gun in Illinois and the process for acquiring a FOID card includes a background check.
The Illinois State Police listed the process for buying a gun in Illinois:
• Buyer must possess a valid FOID card.
Cook County has an "assault weapons" ban that also bans "high-capacity" magazines. In neighboring Lake County, the City of Highland Park has an "assault weapons" ban that also bans "large-capacity" magazines.
On December 7, 2015, the Chicago Tribune reported that the Supreme Court of the United States refused to hear a challenge against Highland Park's "assault weapons" ban. The Tribune described SCOTUS's refusal to hear the challenge as "a blow to the National Rifle Association and other pro-gun advocates."
AWR Hawkins is an award-winning Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and the writer/curator of Down Range with AWR Hawkins , a weekly newsletter focused o n al l things Second Amendment, also for Breitbart News. He is the political analyst for Armed American Radio and a Turning Point USA Ambassador. Follow him on Instagram: @awr_hawkins . Reach him at [email protected] . You can sign up to get Down Range at breitbart.com/downrange .
- New York enacts gun-control law, first since Newtown attack
- Father of Virginia TV reporter slain on air vows to fight for gun control
- US lobby issues point-blank 'no' on gun control
- 17 killed in series of attacks in Iraq
- Skepticism at Obama plea for 'soul searching' on guns
- US's controversial TPP proposal is smoking gun for corporate agenda
- NRA offensive exposes deep US divisions on guns
- Multiple blasts, gun battle kill 25, wound 35 in southern Afghan town
- Clinton goes on attack against Sanders at Democratic debate
- Philippine gun makers take aim from the backyard to the production line
- Pakistan attacks kill 28 on eve of summit
- Bomb attacks kill 8 in Baghdad
- Illegal logging on the rise in parks
- Part 1: Advisory role in defining attacking directions
- U.N. inspectors reach Syria gas victims despite coming under fire
- Land dispute prompts Vietnamese farmers to attack cops
- Logging puts national park at risk
- Panic rooms and gun safes on rise in London luxury homes
- 11 killed in spate of bomb attacks in Iraq
- Triple bomb attack kills 10 in Thailand
Highland Park Attack Occurred Despite Stringent Gun Controls have 474 words, post on www.breitbart.com at July 5, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.