According to rumors, there are a whopping three Apple smartwatches destined to launch in 2022, and the Apple Watch 8 is the flagship of the trio. We’ve heard some leaks on what features it might bring, and one is sounding super likely.
This is body temperature tracking, which would be able to tell you if you’re too hot or have a fever – while some smaller leakers have been forecasting this feature for a while, prolific Apple leaker Mark Gurman (opens in new tab) has added his name to the list, which lends lots of weight to the prediction.
In the latest entry to his Apple newsletter, Gurman says that the anticipated Apple Watch Rugged Edition could also get this feature, but the Apple Watch SE 2 likely won’t – those are the other two wearables expected this year.
That’s something you’d expect, really – the rugged wearable is expected to be a hardier spin on the Apple Watch 8, while the Watch SE 2 will probably be based on older smartwatches from the company instead of the newest versions.
Analysis: a boring upgrade?
In the same newsletter, Gurman mentions that there won’t be many other big upgrades in the Watch 8 – it’s expected to have an older chipset, so won’t be more powerful, though Gurman says it could get a brighter display.
Apple is in a bit of a chipset doldrum at the moment, and it sounds like the iPhone 14 won’t get a new one either .
If current leaks are to be believed, the Apple Watch 8 might not be a huge upgrade on the Watch Series 7 , and will only really appeal to people who have a much older Apple Watch (or don’t own one yet).
But that’s fine – Apple has so many products on the way that we really don’t need all of them to be big and flashy. And for big wearable fans, the Rugged Edition (or Extreme Edition, as some are expecting it to be called) could be the true flagship model anyway.
- Report: Apple Watch, AirPods may be spared from Trump’s China tariffs
- 'Severe supply shortages': The iPhone 8 sounds like it will be hard to find
- Fitbit's moving away from a simple step counter into health coaching as it faces competition from the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch matches Android Wear with new Scribble input method
- Innovating Apple Watch: Good news for developers, and maybe users
- The Samsung Galaxy Watch wants to replace your Apple Watch
- One of the stars of 'Planet of the Apps' is trashing Apple: 'I was like, f--- this'
- It sounds like Jack Dorsey wants to massively change how you follow people on Twitter (TWTR)
- The Pentagon is under pressure to stop spending money on 'beerbots,' which is exactly what it sounds like
- The RBA doesn't sound like it's about to cut interest rates
- Apple Watch And Other Trackers Are Still Missing A Vital Fitness Metric—Pain Factor
- Watch: This is what it looks — and sounds — like when Michelle Obama surprises dozens of Dallas-area students
- This guy found a way to use Apple’s Mac software on an iPad — and it works surprisingly well
- The new Apple Watch Series 4 isn't for everyone — but if you're looking for an Apple Watch, it's the one to get (AAPL)
- Rumor: Apple Watch 2, 4-Inch iPhone To Appear In March
- Leaked images show much larger Apple Watch display, iPhones branded “XS”
- 5 things Apple got right–and 5 it got wrong–in 2018
- A major update to the Apple Watch might be coming later this year — here's what we're expecting (AAPL)
- Take Apple’s advice: Don’t rush to buy a new iPhone
- Apple's new AirPods have better battery life and a cool new wireless charging case — you can preorder a pair now for $159 or $199
Apple Watch 8 sounds more likely to get anticipated feature - but Watch SE 2 may not have 645 words, post on www.techradar.com at July 4, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.