So does Elon Musk want to buy Twitter or not? This morning, the company's prospective new owner insisted (in a tweet, of course) that the $44 billion deal he'd agreed to " cannot move forward " until he sees the proof he's looking for about its active user numbers.
With needling current Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal and texting former CEO Jack Dorsey having failed to hit the spot, Musk — seemingly jokingly — pulled in another recurring character from his 24/7 revolving circus by tweeting to the US Securities and Exchange Commission, asking them to investigate.
In case you've forgotten, the folks at the SEC are the " bastards " that Musk has previously accused of infringing upon his rights to free speech, although that's not the only thing he's called them in the past.
SEC, three letter acronym, middle word is Elon's
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 2, 2020
His quarrel with them has focused on their attempts to enforce a consent decree he agreed to in 2018 over the "funding secured" tweets about taking Tesla private . Of course, you could add to that the investigations into Musk and his brother over possible insider trading and even his failure to make a timely disclosure about how much Twitter stock he'd acquired before making a bid for the company.
Joke or not, Twitter has had troubles with accurate metrics and recently admitted it had been overcounting daily users for years. Twitter's CEO stands by the estimates about the amount of bot activity included in its daily active user (DAU) metric; however, now that puts Parag Agrawal in a standoff that Musk might be using to lower his price for the company or exit the deal altogether .
- Tesla’s Elon Musk Launches A New Line Of Products — Short Shorts
- Kanye West announces that he's running for president on Twitter... and Elon Musk says the rapper has his vote
- Attn: Short Sellers? Lulz as Elon Musk Peddles Brand-New Tesla ‘Short Shorts’
- Billionaire Beef: Elon Musk calls Jeff Bezos a copycat…again
- Elon Musk’s Tesla to help pharma company in development of COVID-19 vaccine
- Tesla Investors Advised to Vote Down Elon Musk as CEO Over Risk of ‘Reputational Harm’
- Kanye West posts picture with Elon Musk, people notice a third person too
- Elon Musk photo with Ghislaine Maxwell goes viral sparking conspiracy theories… but he denies knowing her
- 'It's a go': Elon Musk blasts two astronauts into space in historic Spacex launch to the ISS bringing back manned spaceflight to America for the first time in NINE years as Trump watches from pad
- Elon Musk thinks it is time to 'break up' Amazon
- Amber Heard called Elon Musk her 'Rocketman' while texting the SpaceX chief BEFORE she filed for divorce from Johnny Depp, new messages reveal
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk earns first performance-based compensation from the company worth more than $700million in one of the biggest corporate pay packages in U.S. history
- Elon Musk gives ‘full support’ to Kanye West after rapper says he’s ‘running for president’
- Elon Musk Peddles Tesla Short-Shorts, Sells Out in Just Minutes
- Elon Musk says time to install Minecraft, Pokemon Go in Tesla cars
- Elon Musk digs at Tesla short sellers by selling short shorts for $69.420
- Elon Musk threatens to move Tesla from California, files suit against Alameda County
- Nasa’s 1st US astronaut launch in years takes place TOMORROW – as Elon Musk SpaceX ship prepares for historic take-off
- Grimes reveals nickname of newborn son she shares with Elon Musk after changing unique moniker
- Elon Musk: Say 'Sweet Dreams,' Humanity
Elon Musk’s latest stunt: calling on the SEC to investigate Twitter’s user numbers have 593 words, post on www.theverge.com at May 17, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.