In brief: Krafton in December announced plans to transition PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds to a free-to-play (F2P) model on January 12, 2022. The developer kept its promise and based on early data, it seems as though the company made the right decision.
Krafton said that in the week following the F2P transition, the game saw a 468 percent increase in new players. In some regions, such as Southeast Asia and South America, new user growth reached 537 percent.
What’s more, the average playtime on PC and consoles increased by 100 percent week-over-week compared to the week prior to the F2P switch. On PlayStation, players logged a 400 percent increase in playtime.
During the transition, PUBG was also the top-ranked game on Steam, we’re told.
PUBG arrived on Steam Early Access in 2017 and led the charge in popularizing the battle royale genre. More than 75 million copies of the game were sold across PC and consoles, putting it at number five among the best-selling games of all time behind heavyweights like Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto V, Tetris and Wi Sports.
Krafton is hoping to keep the momentum going through giveaways. Gamers that play PUBG for at least an hour between 4 p.m. Pacific on January 28 and 3:59 p.m. Pacific on January 30 will receive a special reward for each day they “check in.” Additional details can be found over on the PUBG press site.
- Apple Arcade wants to let more people play games across all kinds of devices
- Car makers to leave the handbrakes off in future as Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes and Porsche all switch to electronic devices
- RPG For Free
- 'I had massive FOMO. It was tough to have my head fully there'
- 'I had massive fear of missing out'
- North America Text Analytics Market 2016: Global Industry Review, Research, Statistics, and Growth t
- Play Poker in India - KQPoker.com
- Mice Model Market Current Scenario Analysis with Forecast by 2023
- Global Automotive Lighting Market 2016: Industry Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth and Forecast 2
- India Becomes 1st Country To Get Free Limited Content On Netflix
- Lactose-free Food Market: Global Industry Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2016
- Flight Simulation Features Give Realistic Flying Experience to Anyone Right From a Computer
- Lactose-free Food Market: Global Industry Size 2024
- Best Indie Games in 2019 for Switch, PS4, Xbox
- Multiplay Services to Witness Highest Growth at a CAGR of 44.8% during the period 2016-2020
- Left 4 Dead - Valve’s latest title delivers a tremendously enjoyable experience
- Fortnite Save the World FREE codes: Epic Games making STW free during Season 11?
- The Best Online Casino Guide: An Overview of Why Playing Online Is Better
- Global Rocker Switches Market Analysis, Market Size, Trends, Competitive Strategies and Forecast
- Global Cognitive Computing Market 2016: Industry Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth and Forecast 2
PUBG experiences massive player growth after switching to free-to-play model have 440 words, post on www.techspot.com at January 26, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.