Mortal Kombat 12 has seemingly been ‘leaked’ by a producer at series developer NetherRealm Studios.
Jonathan Andersen, a senior production manager at NetherRealm, recently posted a (now deleted) image of his desk covered in Mortal Kombat memorabilia on Twitter (check out the image at VGC ). But eagle-eyed fans spotted that the monitor screen in the corner of the image shows a file titled “MK12_Mast…”, while snippets of an email on the screen say “our fans eagerly scrape the internet” and ” take extra care with this material” – suggesting Mortal Kombat 12 is in the works.
However, fans suspect the image may not have been an “accidental” leak at all, but instead a tease for the next entry in NetherRealm Studios’ fighting game series.
Opinion: an accident or tease?
It’s been three years since the release of Mortal Kombat 11, so it would make sense that NetherRealm is working on its next entry in the long-running fighting series. Typically entries in the series are released around four years apart, with Mortal Kombat 11 (2019) released four years after Mortal Kombat 10 (2015) and Mortal Kombat 9 (2011) released four years after Mortal Kombat 10.
What’s more, GamesBeat journalist Jeff Grubb claimed in 2021 that he’s heard the NetherRealm is working on Mortal Kombat 12, rather than a new Injustice game, due to concerns around whether Warner Bros. Games will sell the studio in the future.
But then there’s the question of whether this leak really was an accident. After all, NetherRealm boss and series co-creator, Ed Boon, is notorious for teases, with fans often unsure which of his tweets are teases and which aren’t. So a ‘leak’ tease would be on-brand for the studio.
What’s more, the specificity of what’s shown in the image (nothing critical but just enough for a tease) seems staged – even if the tweet was removed.
It’s likely, then, that Mortal Kombat 12 will be announced in the coming months, and (I imagine) the game will then release in 2023, sticking to the four-year release pattern NetherRealm has followed until now.
- Mortal Kombat 11's killers get friendly in a new trailer
- The Ending to 'Mortal Kombat 11' Aftermath Explained
- 'Mortal Kombat 11' Fujin Kombat Kast: Start Time and How to Watch Online
- 'Mortal Kombat 11' Version 1.18 Update Unlocks Aftermath Expansion and Adjusts Fighters
- Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath DLC adds 5 new story chapters, brings RoboCop into fight
- Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath Pre-Order Guide: New Characters, Pre-Order Costumes, Friendships, Aftermath Kollection, And M
- Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath Pre-Order Skin Pack, New Characters, Friendships, Aftermath Kollection, And More
- Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath Buyer's Guide: New Characters, Friendships, Aftermath Kollection, And More
- Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath Buying Guide: Price, Aftermath Kollection, And More
- NetherRealm shows off more Mortal Kombat 11 Friendship finishers
- Mortal Kombat 11 debuts RoboCop in a trailer where he fights the Terminator
- New Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath Trailers Show RoboCop Fighting Terminator
- PC Game Sale Offers Great Discounts On Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, No Man's Sky, And More
- PS5 And Xbox Series X: Mortal Kombat Creator Says People Are Underestimating One Feature
- PS5 And Xbox Series X: Mortal Kombat Boss Says People Are Overlooking One Feature In Particular
- PS5/Xbox Series X: Mortal Kombat Creator Says People Are Underestimating One Feature
- Xbox Series X And PS5: Mortal Kombat Creator Says People Are Overlooking One Feature In Particular
- PS5 And Xbox Series X: Mortal Kombat Creator Ed Boon Says People Are Overlooking One Feature In Particular
- That Halo Infinite "Leak" On Reddit Was Fake, Confirms 343 Dev
- The Division 2 Big Story Leak Confirmed By Ubisoft After Reddit Speculation
Mortal Kombat 12 has been 'leaked' by NetherRealm producer have 567 words, post on www.techradar.com at January 28, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.