ExpressVPN has unveiled two new features to its market-leading VPN service that are seeking to speed up connection times and – more notably – move its product further towards a one-stop solution for your online security needs.
Parallel Connections is a smart technology which works under the hood to cut connection times, especially on restricted networks like schools, hotels and airports.
While the second feature, Threat Manager, is a DNS-based web filter which blocks access to trackers and malicious websites.
Speed and security
In its Parallel Connections feature – currently available on Express’s iPhone VPN only and coming to other platforms soon – ExpressVPN says that it has launched a feature that “works behind the scenes to ensure faster and more reliable VPN connections”.
Previously, its apps tackled these difficult situations by choosing the best method of connection, waiting for the results, moving to the next, waiting again, and so on. With many combinations to try, users might wait 15 or more seconds to connect in the most extreme situations.
Parallel Connections enables ExpressVPN apps to try all connection methods simultaneously. The company says that the longest delays should now be almost entirely eliminated, with 25% more users connecting in under one second.
While Threat Manager is now available for free with ExpressVPN’s Mac and iOS apps, with support for other platforms on the way. To create its blocklist, the company says it has combined some of the best publicly available sources, including URLhaus, ensuring a good level of protection from the latest web dangers.
VPN extending to further security horizons
Threat Manager isn’t a new idea – NordVPN , Surfshark , Private Internet Access and others offer similar ad or malware blockers – but it represents an important new direction for ExpressVPN. The service isn’t just shielding your traffic, any more: it’s extending its reach into the security world to protecting you from malware and scammers.
This doesn’t necessarily mean ExpressVPN is suddenly going to release its own CyberGhost One-like security suite, complete with antivirus , software updater and more.
It is yet another sign that there’s a clear convergence in this area, though, with security companies adding VPNs, and VPNs beginning to add their own security features. Threat Manager may be one of ExpressVPN’s first steps into this area, but it’s unlikely to be the last.
- Check out our list of the best Mac VPNs around today
- iOS 11.4 update for your iPhone is here – all the new features and how to get it TODAY
- Big Weapons, Big Meeting: Could Trump, Putin Agree On New Arms Control Deal?
- Twitter is testing a secret encrypted messaging feature
- Is Twitter taking Snowden’s advice? ‘Encrypted message feature’ spotted in Android app
- Aluminum Drops Most in Seven Years After U.S. Signals Rusal Sanctions Relief
- Trump Heads Into Kim Summit Adept at Breaking Deals, Not Making Them
- Trump returns to NATO before heading to London
- Award-winning new Ibiza shines for Seat in supermini sector
- Mexican drug kingpin charged in New York with trafficking enough fentanyl to kill 10 million people
- New Zealand to wipe criminal records of people convicted of historical homosexual offences
- New York police shoot dead ‘mentally ill’ man in Brooklyn because they wrongly believed he was armed
- McGregor leaves police station in handcuffs as UFC star heads to face judge
- First drive: The new Ford Fiesta ST manages to live up to its predecessor’s reputation
- Nothing New Under The Gun: Ukraine Deploys Old Ruse In Babchenko's Staged Slaying
- CyCon 2018 LIVE at 12:15: 'New Technologies and Cybersecurity' panel
- High-Tech Wheels: Kaspersky Lab Tests Tools For Car Security
- Lindsay Woods: I have turned to these lists as a form of security blanket
- Kazakh Trial Sheds New Light On Chinese 'Reeducation Camps' For Muslims
- How to stream the FIFA World cup using a VPN platform
- Go-ahead for 2022 athletes village
ExpressVPN's new security feature signals where VPNs are heading in 2022 have 619 words, post on www.techradar.com at January 28, 2022. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.