US-based chip maker Qualcomm , at Snapdragon Tech Summit 2021 , has expanded the portfolio of solutions for Always On, Always Connected PCs by introducing Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 and Snapdragon 7c+ Gen 3 Compute Platforms. Both the chips come as the successor to the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 and 7c+ Gen 2 chips and bring significant improvements over their predecessors such as improved per watt performance, AI, 5G connectivity, efficiency and more. Here's everything you need to know about the new Compute Platforms from Qualcomm.
Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 Compute Platform: Features and other details
Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 is the world's first 5nm Windows PC platform which claims to offer up to 85% faster CPU performance and around 60% more GPU performance than the Gen 2 chip with its improved 64-bit Qualcomm Kryo CPU and Adreno GPU with DirectX 12 support. The Snapdragon 8cx can support 8×16 channel LPDDR4x RAM.
The chip also includes dedicated and improved AI engine — Qualcomm Hexagon processor with Qualcomm Sensing Hub for faster AI performance. The chipset now comes with
The company says that all that performance improvements does not come at the cost of efficiency and the 8cx Gen 3 essentially consumes similar power as the previous generation allowing for multiple days of battery life.
In terms of connectivity the 8cx Gen 3 is among the most robust for always connected laptops. The chip supports Snapdragon X55, X62 and X65 5G Modem-RF systems, allowing 8cx Gen 3 to reach lightning-fast speeds of up to 10 Gbps.
In addition to that the chip also comes with Qualcomm FastConnect 6900 that includes support for Wi-Fi 6/Wi-Fi 6E to enable the fastest Wi-Fi 6/6E speeds available – with Wi-Fi Dual Station, developed in collaboration with Microsoft for Windows 11, utilizing Qualcomm 4-stream Dual Band Simultaneous technology.
Qualcomm has also included some video conferencing improvements citing the ongoing pandemic situations. The 8cx Gen 3 brings improved video and audio capabilities to offer clear audio and sharp visuals. The chip comes with Qualcomm Spectra ISP with improved camera start-up time and latest generation 3A — Auto Focus, Auto White Balance and Auto Exposure.
Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 also includes Qualcomm Noise and Echo Cancellation technology – part of the Qualcomm Voice Suite . This feature is enhanced through AI acceleration to improve the clarity and quality of users' audio. That means that the user’s laptop can remove unwanted background sounds such as barking dogs or a neighbor moving their lawn. Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 also supports up to 4K HDR camera quality and up to 4 cameras for new use cases
In terms of security, the chipset includes layered chipset level Secure Boot processes and the security of cellular connectivity. For managed systems in the Enterprise or Education segments, the Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit ( SPU ) implements Microsoft Pluton Security Solution for Windows 11.
Snapdragon 7c+ Gen 3 Compute Platform: Features and other details
The Snapdragon 7c+ Gen 3 is an entry-level chip designed for entry-level Windows and Chromebook devices. The chip is based on a 6nm process which claims to deliver 60% faster CPU performance and up to 70% faster GPU performance uplift than previous generation.
It also includes a Qualcomm AI engine that enables it to offer AI_accelerated experience through 6.5 TOPS of performance. The chip also introduces 5G connectivity for the first time in an entry-level platform. The integrated Snapdragon X53 5G Modem-RF system supports 5G sub-6 and mmWave– enabling download speeds of up to 3.7 Gbps. It also comes with FastConnect 6700 that includes Wi-Fi 6 and 6E support with speeds up to 2.9 Gbps.
- Qualcomm launches new processor to bring 5G to affordable phones
- Arm-based Macs: Smart move for Apple, but irrelevant to the future of Windows PCs
- Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 865 Plus, will power ASUS, Lenovo devices
- Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro 15 (2020) with 10th generation Intel processor launched
- Buy the laptop best for you: Windows 10 or MacOS, plus 10 more things to consider
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus is here with 10% better gaming performance
- PS5 finally revealed: The GamesRadar team react to PlayStation's Future of Gaming
- OnePlus Nord all important details revealed by co-founder Carl Pei in a video ahead of launch
- Qualcomm-Jio deal: 5G wireless tech company to invest Rs 730 crore in RIL unit
- Poco M2 Pro to launch tomorrow; will offer quad camera and Snapdragon processor
- Vivo launches X50 5G smartphone series, TWS Neo earphone
- HP launches 14s notebook series with 4G LTE connectivity in India
- Nvidia's rumored new Ampere power connection could drive gamers towards Big Navi
- The best cheap Windows laptops and Chromebooks under $500 you can get now
- Qualcomm unveils the Snapdragon 865 Plus with GPU, CPU speed improvements
- The growing case for Windows support of Google Play
- It’s modular, it’s cheap, it runs Windows—it’s the $300 Kano tablet PC
- Ars Guide: How to ruin your PC port in five easy steps
- Future of Work: Reimagining virtual collaboration for success
- Microsoft Flight Simulator launches Aug. 18 on PC
qualcomm: Qualcomm launches next-generation chipsets for future 'always on, always connected' Windows PCs and Chromebooks have 802 words, post on www.gadgetsnow.com at December 2, 2021. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.