This announcement came after Square Founder Dorsey, who is a staunch supporter of Bitcoin , stepped down as Twitter CEO.
“We built the Square brand for our Seller business, which is where it belongs,” said Dorsey.
“Block is a new name, but our purpose of economic empowerment remains the same. No matter how we grow or change, we will continue to build tools to help increase access to the economy,” he said in a statement late on Wednesday.
Since its start in 2009, the company has added Cash App, TIDAL, and TBD54566975 as businesses, and the name change creates room for further growth.
As a result of the name change, Square Crypto, a separate initiative of the company dedicated to advancing Bitcoin, will change its name to Spiral, the company announced.
Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services.
With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin.
“Block references the neighborhood blocks where we find our sellers, a blockchain, block parties full of music, obstacles to overcome, a section of code, building blocks, and of course, tungsten cubes,” the company tweeted.
Square isn’t the first major tech company to rebrand this year.
Facebook changed its corporate branding to Meta just over a month ago.
Twitter’s stock, which has consistently underperformed the market, jumped more than 10% at the opening bell Monday before trading was halted pending news…
- Laura Loomer Confronts Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey at Bitcoin Conference
- Twitter's Jack Dorsey pledges $3M to Colin Kaepernick's Know Your Rights Camp
- Jack Dorsey would rather give you a bitcoin wallet than Twitter features worth paying for
- So, Jack Dorsey, what comes next for Twitter? The public has some ideas.
- Zuckerberg, Dorsey And 18 Other Billionaires Lead Massive Stock Sales
- Twitter owner’s firm launches solar-powered bitcoin mining facility in U.S.
- Square considering making bitcoin hardware wallet -Dorsey
- Why Square's Latest Leadership Appointment Is Sadly Unique
- How Square's Approach To Bitcoin Differs From Competitors
- Square's $170 Million Bitcoin Bet Isn't a Big Deal
- Square Bought $50 Million Worth of Bitcoin: What Does it Mean to Investors?
- 3 Factors Driving Square's Cash App Profits
- Earnings Roundup: Square, Etsy, and MercadoLibre
- How Much Is Square Relying on Bitcoin?
- Square's Newest Services Show Off Its Massive Disruptive Potential
- Why Bitcoin Investors Should Consider Buying Square Stock
- Better Fintech Stock: PayPal Holdings vs. Square
- Elbo Room to open near Oakland's Jack London Square
- Gedrich: Tiananmen Square 30 Years Later – What I Saw, and What Happened Afterwards
- George Floyd Square: Intersection Briefly Reopened Before Community Pushback
Jack Dorsey's firm Square changes its name to Block have 459 words, post on brandequity.economictimes.indiatimes.com at December 2, 2021. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.