iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 will be ready to download and install on your iPhone and iPad on Monday, Apple announced during its iPhone 13 event this week. It also introduced the new iPhone 13 , iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Mini — all available for preorder now — and its newest iPad , iPad Mini and Apple Watch Series 7 . The software updates come with an array of new features for iPhones and iPads.
Apple added new FaceTime features that, for the first time, will let Android and PC users participate, and iMessage improvements that make it easier to track links and photos your friends have sent. The iPad is getting a complete home screen makeover, and multitasking is finally receiving the boost it’s needed for years.
Below, we’ll explain how to install iOS 15 on your iPhone and iPadOS 15 on your iPad once it’s time. For now, make sure to get your devices ready ahead of time — we’ll tell you how to do that, too.
Get the CNET Daily News newsletter
Get your iPhone or iPad ready before installing the update
Before you install the latest update, take a few minutes to do some routine maintenance on your iPhone or iPad. Not only will it help ensure a smooth update, but you’ll free up storage in the process, and you’ll have a fresh backup at the ready should anything go wrong when you install the update.
Make sure to clear out any clutter, such as photos and apps you don’t need anymore, to free up storage on your phone. If you haven’t done so recently, you’ll also want to create a fresh backup so you don’t lose anything important on your device. ( Here’s a guide that’ll walk you through how to do it all.) Once you’ve done this, your phone and iPad will be ready for iOS 15 and iPadOS 15.
Will iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 work with my iPhone and iPad?
Apple published a list of devices that will receive the update when it’s available. It’s easy to figure out if your device will run the new operating system for its platform. If your iPhone is running iOS 14 right now, then you’ll be able to install the update. Here are all of the compatible devices :
How to install iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 when it’s time
Once the update goes live on Monday — Apple usually launches updates around 10 a.m. PT (1 p.m. ET, 6 p.m. BST) — you’ll install it just like any other software update. It’s a good idea to have your device plugged into a charger to ensure that the update doesn’t drain the battery, and a strong Wi-Fi connection will help speed up the process without burning through your data plan. On an iPhone, follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Select General .
3. Tap Software Update.
Your device will connect to Apple’s servers and prompt you to download and install the update. Follow the prompts to complete the installation. When your device reboots, it will be running iOS 15. Follow the same steps with an iPad to update it to iPadOS 15.
- These are the best cheap Apple deals for May 2020
- Unfixable iOS Device Exploit Is the Latest Apple Security Upheaval
- Apple Mother’s Day Sale: Save big on latest AirPods, Apple Watch, and iPad
- Stronger than ever: Apple iPhone 11 Pro a sturdy device, clears stress tests like a boss
- AirPods Pro, Apple Watch Series 5 in the sale bin in time for Mother’s Day
- The iPhone 12 is coming this fall. Here’s everything we know so far
- NHS is ALREADY onto Covid-19 app Plan B: Programmers build new contact tracing software after first one didn't work with older mobiles, had problems on iPhones and drained batteries too quickly in Isle of Wight trial
- References to iOS 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3 showing up in site analytics
- Apple mixes things up for WWDC 2013, with pre-announced ticket sales
- Continuity in Yosemite/iOS 8: Which network powers what service?
- How to Add Third Party Complications to your Apple Watch
- WWDC 2020 date set: Apple's (online-only) developer conference starts June 22
- What to do with an old iPad (or iPhone): 10 DIY uses
- Apple iPad, iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e discounted ahead of Mother’s Day
- Health chiefs behind controversial new NHSX Covid-19 contact tracing app ask software developers if they can get it to work with Apple-Google system preferred by other countries in £3.8m 'U-turn'
- How to Change Your Apple Watch Band (Without Spending a Ton)
- The best Apple Watch games
- Apple releases WatchKit developer tools alongside first iOS 8.2 beta
- Coronavirus | Why Apple’s iPad is the gadget of the pandemic
- 128GB iPhones and iPads may be coming sooner than later
iOS 15 and iPad OS 15 come Monday: How to install Apple's new software have 822 words, post on www.cnet.com at September 18, 2021. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.