If you can get it, 5G is the fastest mobile internet connection available right now. All of the best Android phones come with 5G capability, including Pixel phones from fall 2020 onward, such as the Pixel 5a 5G . But what if you don’t want to use 5G? Fortunately, it’s easy to turn it off in favor of other network bands. Whatever your reason, you can turn off 5G on your Pixel phone, and we’ll show you how.
How to disable 5G on a Google Pixel phone
When you disable 5G on your Pixel phone, you force the phone to ignore 5G networks in favor of LTE or a lower band. To do so, open your phone’s Settings .
- Tap Network & internet .
Tap Mobile network .
Source: Adam Doud/Android Central
Tap Preferred network type .
- Tap any of the other radios (we recommend LTE ).
Source: Adam Doud/Android Central
Once you tap that, your phone will default to LTE, 3G, or 2G, depending on what you prefer. At any time, you can turn 5G back on. Just repeat the steps above and tap 5G .
Note : These screenshots were taken using a Google Pixel 5a on Android 11. The process outlined is the same for Android 12.
Why you would want to disable 5G on your Pixel phone
There are a few reasons why you might want to turn off the 5G network on your Pixel. One of the most common reasons is battery life. It’s not that 5G radios necessarily use more battery life than 4G radios. However, the reason why 5G can consume more battery life is a little complicated.
5G made great advances in the past few years, but it’s still not quite as ubiquitous as LTE networks. We have 5G maps that demonstrate that. As radios are forced to switch from weak 5G connections to strong LTE connections, it can tax a phone and destroy battery life. Smartphones will always select the fastest possible connection, even if it’s a weaker signal. As a result, battery life suffers.
Add to that, for many, 5G offers speeds similar to LTE in many areas. Once mid-band 5G rolls out, we’ll see better speeds and better coverage. T-Mobile has shown what mid-band 5G is capable of, and AT&T and Verizon are about to launch their own versions. Until then, the benefits of 5G aren’t as obvious in some areas. Because of this, and because of the battery life concerns above, disabling 5G can help conserve battery while still running just as fast.
The Galaxy S21 Ultra offers the ultimate luxury experience, with four incredible cameras and an industry-leading display. It’s a love letter to Samsung’s most enthusiastic customers, and the addition of S Pen support may even draw in longtime Note loyalists.
Android 12’s headline feature is the new Material You style, but there’s so much more to this update than meets the eye. Here’s everything you need to check out!
The stable release of Android 12 hasn’t happened yet, but Samsung has decided to go ahead and give us our first taste of its new One UI 4 update. In some ways, this beta is even better than Google’s, but unfortunately, it’s just as buggy.
The original Pixel may still be your go-to device, but there’s no mistaking that chances are the battery has degraded a bit since its release. In that case, you’ll want to make sure you have an external battery pack handy at all times to make sure the Pixel lasts all day.
- The Pixel 4 is first to radar, but that's not what unlocks Google's phone
- Google Pixel 4 likely to come with Motion Mode, 8x zoom
- The $400 Google Pixel 3a Completely Redefines Great Bang for Your Buck
- Google Pixel 4 launched at $799, won't come to India
- Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL Won't Launch In India: Here's Why
- Selfie lovers, rejoice! Google Pixel 4XL likely to come with a brighter camera
- Google Pixel 4, 4XL are coming: New leak hints at a Neural Core for advanced network techniques
- Google Pixel 4 Recorder App Offers Real-Time Transcription Without Requiring Internet Access
- Google Pixel 4 XL Display Gets A+ Rating From DisplayMate, Said to Offer 'Close to Textbook Perfect Calibration and Performance'
- Android 10 comes to Google's Pixel phones
- Google Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL Users Won’t Get Unlimited Full-Resolution Google Photos Storage Benefit
- Google Pixel 4, Pixel XL Do Not Include Earphones or 3.5mm Adapter in the Box
- Google Pixel 4 Exclusive Features Like Live Caption, Astrophotography Camera Mode Coming Soon to Pixel 3, Pixel 3a
- Google Pixel 3a XL review: Nails the camera game again, non-expandable storage is a limitation
- Google Pixel 4 could take advantage of Huawei's troubles — but it won't be easy
- Google Pixel 4 Series Gets Unorthodox Zoom From AI
- Google Pixel 4 Lacks Daydream VR Support, Google Confirms Project Shutdown, Says Daydream View Discontinued
- Google Pixel 4: Indians disappointed as 'radar feature' prevents launch
- Google Pixel 4 Face Unlock works if eyes are shut
- The countdown begins: Google likely to launch 5G version of Pixel 4 next week
How to disable 5G on a Google Pixel phone have 948 words, post on www.androidcentral.com at September 10, 2021. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.