Dual nano-SIM support is not available on iPhones outside of China. Instead, those markets offer a single physical SIM with support for a second eSIM.
But YouTuber Hugh Jeffreys got thinking. What if you changed the SIM reader and tray in a regular iPhone for one from a Chinese iPhone?
Surely it wouldn’t work.
But it did.
The process is quite involved and requires removing the display, but once you’re inside, it’s all pretty plain sailing.
Here’s a video detailing the upgrade.
Note that even though this works now, this hack might be blocked from working by future iOS updates.
If you’d like dual physical SIMs in your iPhone but don’t fancy taking it apart and making changes that are likely to affect warranty, then take a look at the adapters that SIMore has to offer. They offer both a dual-SIM and quadruple-SIM adapter for the latest iPhones. They’re not as elegant a solution, but they work.
- China discounts, cheaper iPhone to cushion Apple from virus blow to demand
- iPhone 12 Pro rumored to feature ProMotion high-refresh rate display, 3x telephoto zoom and improved Face ID
- These are the best cheap Apple deals for May 2020
- Amazing new iPhone SE deal includes 22GB data and FREE Apple AirPods for £26 a month
- The best Apple iPhone deals for May 2020
- iPhone SE (2020) tips and tricks
- Want to upgrade to iPhone SE? Apple's 2020 smartphone will go on sale next week via Flipkart
- The new MacBook Pro’s old processors show why Apple needs to switch to ARM
- Apple coding challenge could kickstart top tech career – and it’s free to take part
- Elon Musk says Apple's electric car is an "open secret" that he welcomes
- Why Apple would make a “low-cost iPhone,” and what might be inside
- The iPhone 12 Pro will reportedly have 120Hz refresh rate and 3x optical zoom
- New iPhone 12 release date, leaks, price, news and everything you need to know
- A more powerful Apple TV 4K could arrive ‘any time’
- The iPhone 12 is coming this fall. Here’s everything we know so far
- The best iPhone games currently available (May 2020)
- Tempting iPhone 11 deal for £36 a month gets you 45GB data and a YEAR of Apple TV+
- Apple Mother’s Day Sale: Save big on latest AirPods, Apple Watch, and iPad
- Apple may take a bigger bite of India’s manufacturing pie
- It's a bug: Apple Music can't be controlled through Google Home devices
Secret iPhone hardware upgrade Apple doesn't want you to have have 441 words, post on www.zdnet.com at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.