The magnet-based charging and accessory system MagSafe was one of the new features Apple introduced with the iPhone 12 , and we’re now starting to see Android phone makers coming up with alternatives of their own.
Oppo would appear to be the latest manufacturer to the party, as per unofficial renders from Oyprice (via GSMArena ). We can’t be sure where these pictures originate from, so treat them with a certain degree of caution, but it wouldn’t be a surprise for Oppo to look to expand its accessory offerings like this.
The images show a streamlined charger in a circular shape, with a small USB-C port for the purposes of connecting the charger up to the mains. For the time being we don’t have any other specs or any other details – such as the sort of charging speed that might be offered.
- Samsung is improving wireless charging too
- The best power banks are all right here
- Pick out the best MagSafe accessories
Over to Realme
Unless Oppo unveils whatever it’s been working on in the very near future, Realme is going to get its own version of MagSafe out into the world. It’s called MagDart, and we’re expecting to see it appear alongside the Realme Flash on August 3.
Realme has suggested that its MagDart tech could exceed some wired solutions in terms of charging speeds, so we’re very much looking forward to what’s on offer – even if it’s not clear yet whether or not these devices will be available internationally.
When you consider that Realme started out as a sub-brand of Oppo, it makes sense that they’re still going to be sharing some technologies – and whatever Oppo is working on may well end up being very similar to MagDart when we get to see it.
Analysis: Wireless charging is going mainstream
Magnetic clip-on chargers existed before the iPhone 12, but Apple has done what Apple tends to do by making the technology more convenient and reliable than before, and packaging it in a way that’s going to appeal to consumers.
The magnetic attachments that MagSafe uses are going to be used for a whole host of accessories down the line, Apple is promising, but it’s the wireless charging add-ons that have dominated so far in terms of MagSafe-branded products.
The wireless charging speeds top out at 15W with MagSafe, which is by no means the fastest on the market but which is at least respectable. We’d expect whatever Realme and Oppo are working on to go beyond that in terms of charging rate.
With charging speeds that are at last getting above a trickle, and the ease and convenience of magnetic attachments, wireless charging is finally becoming more than a nice extra – and something that may well completely replace wired charging for a lot of users in the not-to-distant future.
- We’ve put together a list of the best Oppo phones
- AirPods Pro earbuds look sleeker, and noise-canceling works even in Penn Station
- Prosecutors Dropping Remaining Charges Against Trump Inauguration Protesters
- Rod Rosenstein Said 12 Russian Agents Were Charged With Hacking. Read Excerpts From His Announcement.
- American Jailed in Moscow on Spy Charges Says Guards Injured Him
- 10 legal-tech lessons from dollars to doughnuts at Fin (Legal) Tech
- One Big Problem With Medicaid Work Requirement: People Are Unaware It Exists
- Republicans Had a Plan for Josh Hawley in Missouri. He’s Working on It.
- U.S. Is ‘Working On’ Extraditing Gulen, Top Turkish Official Says
- Xbox One Review: Absolutely Amazing (When It Works)
- Pay $500 on a panhandling charge or sit in jail for five days. Should NC find a better way?
- Still ticking: The improbable survival of the luxury watch business
- Google parent Alphabet agrees to buy Fitbit
- Google parent Alphabet agrees to buy Fitbit in $2.1 billion deal
- How ‘Infrastructure Week’ Became a Long-Running Joke
- Trial for Men Accused of Plotting 9/11 Attacks Is Set for 2021
- Meet the Teenagers Leading a Climate Change Movement
- ‘No Compromise,’ Democratic Hopefuls Say About Gun Control
- How Similar Are Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, Really?
- M.J. Hegar, Veteran Armed With Viral Ads, Is Running for Senate in Texas
- Richard Lugar, Longtime Indiana G.O.P. Senator, Dies at 87
Oppo could be working on its own MagSafe-style magnetic charging tech have 691 words, post on www.techradar.com at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.