On Friday's broadcast of MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-TX) said that unless federal voting legislation is passed, "we are going to lose our democracy" when the Texas House Democrats who are breaking quorum return to Texas.
Escobar said, "In a state like mine, Texas, literally, we are going to lose our democracy through Texas unless we do something. In about a week, the Texas House Democrats that broke quorum in their state legislature and came here to Washington, D.C. to urge us to take action, they are going to have to make a decision. The special session ends for them, and when they fly back, or if they fly back, a new one will begin. There will be extreme gerrymandering. There will be limited access to the ballot box for the disabled, for people of color. And then, in about two weeks, that's when the extreme gerrymandering begins. So, time is of the essence. The clock is running out."
Follow Ian Hanchett on Twitter @IanHanchett
- POLITICO London Playbook: Corbyn surge stalls — 5 more years of Brexit — How to go on strike
- EU Withdrawal Bill: Theresa May denies selling out Brexiteers over last-minute deal on a 'meaningful vote'
- #8thRef: Voting closes;
- #8thRef: Voting brisk across the day but rush has now eased
- #8thRef: Final hour of voting; Some turnout predictions as high as 70%
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on July 15, 2018
- Wera Hobhouse: British Debate On Immigration Reminiscent Of Nazi Germany
- We Are At The Point Where No Brexit Outcome Can Find A Commons Majority
- The Jo Swinson Pairing Scandal Shows Again How Our Parliament Fails To Support Women
- Najib Predicts He'll Extend Grip on Power in Malaysia Election
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" for June 24, 2018
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on June 3, 2018
- May sticks by chief whip in 'pairing' row
- Quasi Cop, Clinton Adviser Rakes in $100K for ‘Occupy’ White House Protests
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on June 10, 2018
- EU Withdrawal Bill: Theresa May wins crucial Brexit debate after last-minute deal with rebels
- Poll: Do you think the Good Friday Agreement was a success or failure?
- SNP accused of manufacturing Brexit row to push for new independence referendum
- EU Withdrawal Bill: Four more ministers prepared to quit over Brexit after Phillip Lee's 'warning shot' resignation
- Brexit Briefing: Dominic Raab and Michel Barnier Come Face-To-Face
Dem Rep. Escobar: Unless We Pass Voting Laws, 'We Are Going to Lose Our Democracy' When TX Dems Return have 387 words, post on www.breitbart.com at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.