In brief: Samsung is one of the most prominent entities in the foldable phone market. The company has already released three models, but it seems it will further expand its influence in this market by selling foldable OLED displays to other phone manufacturers. Those manufacturers include Google, Xiaomi, Vivo, and Oppo.
Google’s foldable phone was been first mentioned in documents leaked in August 2020. Codenamed “Passport,” Google’s foldable phone is supposedly releasing in Q4 2021. The specifications are still unknown, but a recent report claims it will feature a 7.6-inch foldable OLED display.
Vivo also plans to announce its first foldable phones later this year. This phone will come with an 8-inch OLED display and a 6.5-inch OLED display, but only the former is from Samsung. The 6.5-inch screen will be manufactured by BOE.
Xiaomi, which launched a foldable in March, plans to introduce another one by late 2021. Similar to Vivo’s foldable phone, it will feature an 8-inch OLED panel and a 6.5-inch OLED panel.
Oppo will probably be the last one of these four companies joining the foldable phone market. Its foldable phone release has been pushed to 2022 alongside Samsung’s OLED production for the company. This phone should feature a clamshell design with two screens: an inner screen measuring 7.1 inches and an outer screen between 1.5 inches and two inches.
Samsung will not only focus on selling foldable OLED displays to third-party phone makers. The report also states that Samsung plans to launch two more foldable phones later this year.
None of these screens seems to be the S-Fold display Samsung showed earlier this year, but the technology powering them should be similar.
Foldable phones have not yet reached the mainstream segment, but as more phone manufacturers jump on the bandwagon, that may soon happen. Moreover, as more foldable phones get into the market, competition will grow, leading to a possible price reduction of such devices.
Image credit: Mika Baumeister
- Apple fans mock ‘desperate’ Samsung over ‘garbage’ FOLDABLE iPhone rival
- Samsung's First Foldable Smartphone Could Be Launched in November: DJ Koh
- Google to Unveil 5G Pixel Phone on October 15 to Beat Apple to the Punch: Report
- Samsung's much-hyped foldable phone could be unveiled next week
- World's first foldable smartphone unveiled
- Samsung's Foldable Phone Codenamed 'Winner' Said to Sport a 7.3-Inch OLED Display
- UPDATE 3-Strong smartphone sales raise hopes of Samsung turnaround
- Strong smartphone sales raise hopes of Samsung turnaround
- Samsung set to announce Galaxy X folding smartphone today
- UPDATE 1-Samsung Display to invest $11 bln by 2025 amid industry oversupply
- Samsung Display to invest $11 billion by 2025 amid industry oversupply
- UPDATE 2-Samsung Display to invest $11 bln by 2025 amid industry oversupply
- Samsung Galaxy Fold Pre-Bookings Set to Open Again in India Today: Price, Specifications
- Google Pixel Phones Make Android's Fragmentation Problem Worse
- Jio GigaFiber Registrations, Xiaomi Poco F1 Leaks, Mi A2 Sale, Samsung Galaxy Note 9 India Launch Date, and More News This Week
- Samsung unveils foldable phone with Infinity Flex Display
- Nokia X5 and Nokia 6.1 Plus Launched, Jio Phone Exchange Offer, Xiaomi Mi A2 Price Leaked, and More News From This Week
- Samsung Display to invest US$11 billion by 2025 amid industry oversupply
- Samsung Galaxy S10 leak suggests radical screen changes and new cameras
- The best Android phone might have finally arrived
Samsung to start producing foldable OLED panels for third-party phone makers in October have 522 words, post on www.techspot.com at June 9, 2021. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.