MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Tampa offloaded more than two tons of cocaine at the Miami Beach base on Tuesday. The 5,500 pounds of cocaine, worth an estimated $94.6 million, was seized from a low profile vessel off the coast of Punta Gallinas, Colombia. READ MORE: Miami Gardens Opens New Walk-Up COVID-19 Vaccination Site A maritime patrol flight spotted the vessel on April 9, and a law enforcement team from the cutter detained three suspects and discovered 87 bales of cocaine. READ MORE: South Florida Bride, Groom Crashers At Own Fort Lauderdale Mansion Wedding "This event is the perfect example of numerous key partners unifying our efforts to counter transnational criminal organizations who look to exploit the maritime environment," said Lt. Cmdr. Jason Neiman, Seventh District public affairs officer, is a statement. The vessel was destroyed as a hazard to navigation. MORE NEWS: Pivoting In Pandemic: Miami Maintenance Co. Credits FIU’s Small Business Development Center For Helping Them Survive The interdiction was the result of multi-agency efforts in support of U.S. Southern Command's enhanced counter-narcotics operations in the Western Hemisphere, the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force, and High Intensity Drug Trafficking.
- Oil spill cleanup continues along Delaware, Maryland coast
- British man, 53, dies after being swept away by strong current while swimming in the sea with his niece on Spanish beach
- Opinion: Ivory Coast needs new men — or a woman
- The Best Beaches of 2013 Announced
- Phil Collins' ex-wife Orianne Cevey poses in couture gown as she shows off new $250k Bentley... amid battle over singer's $40M Miami mansion
- New wave of NARCO SUBS: Built by drug lords in the Colombian jungle, they can sail all the way to Europe - underwater and undetected - with up to £180m of cocaine...
- From bomb-affixed drones to narco tanks and ventilated tunnels: How well-equipped are the Mexican cartels?
- How to help the Bahamas: 7 things you can do for Hurricane Dorian victims right now
- Trump's erratic behavior continues as he halts stimulus talks and spreads falsehoods on pandemic
- Chinese 'cartels' quietly operating in Mexico, aiding US drug crisis
Coast Guard Offloads More Than Two Tons Of Seized Cocaine In Miami Beach have 343 words, post on miami.cbslocal.com at April 22, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.