In a nutshell: With the global chip shortage showing little signs of improving, at least in the short-term, China imported a record number of semiconductors last month: 58.9 billion units, worth around $35.9 billion. As reported by the South China Morning Post , data released by the General Administration of Customs show that China’s total integrated circuit (IC) imports reached 155.6 billion units in the first quarter, up 33.6% from a year ago and worth around $93.6 billion. For comparison, the first quarter of 2020 saw 116.1 billion imports worth $72.1 billion. Most of the chips China is stockpiling cannot be manufactured within the country at this time, including volatile memory. With demand for products surging across the world as many economies reopen, Chinese firms don’t want to miss out. The bigger concern, of course, is the trade sanctions being placed on Chinese firms by the US government. Huawei saw its first-ever quarterly revenue decline in Q4, the result of its addition to an Entity list in 2019 that means US companies require a license to do business with the tech giant. The sanctions place on Huawei have decimated its global smartphone shipments Last week saw seven more Chinese supercomputer… Read full this story
- GM extends vehicle production cuts due to global chip shortage
- Honda lowers global auto sales outlook due to global chip shortage
- White House hastens to address global chip shortage
- PS5 and Xbox Series X out of stock? How a global chip shortage is 'impacting everything'
- From PS5 to Ford F-150: How a global chip shortage is 'impacting everything'
- Focus on chip shortage hurting production as Japanese automakers report results
- GM extends shutdown at three plants due to chip shortage
- Why China can’t fix the global microchip shortage
- Toyota hikes profit forecast 54%, shrugs off global chip supply issues
- Chip shortages are here to stay, for some
China imported a record $35.9 billion worth of semiconductors in March amid global chip shortages have 293 words, post on www.techspot.com at April 13, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.