Amazon prevailed Friday in its fight against labor organizing at its Bessemer, Alabama, warehouse, with workers rejecting the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union by a ratio of 2-to-1. The union’s definitive loss could be the end of the road for its effort in Bessemer, but the labor fight at Amazon may just be getting started. The union, which said immediately it would object to the election, argues that Amazon improperly swayed the vote, and it may yet win the chance to redo the election. Whether or not it does, the effort garnered the backing of Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and words of support from President Joe Biden , becoming a national story that could catalyze future attempts elsewhere — especially as reports about the working conditions continue to spill out. CNET Daily News Stay in the know. Get the latest tech stories from CNET News every weekday. Meanwhile, Amazon is trying to position itself as a leader on labor issues and directing the conversation away from unions. In a statement Friday, the company emphasized its advocacy for a $15 federal minimum wage for the “40 million Americans who make less than the starting wage at Amazon, and many more… Read full this story
- Two lawmakers challenge labor practices at Amazon
- 500 PH truck drivers in Europe victims of unfair labor practices but won’t go home – DFA
- Bernie Sanders has a new plan to raise wages: Save the unions
- The tax cuts were supposed to help workers. Unions say they’re not.
- Amazon employees in Europe go on strike for 'Prime Day'
- Amazon labor critic rips free one-day shipping plan, citing workplace conditions
- Amazon Project Foundered on Labor Organizing, Debate Over Subsidies
- Here’s Peccy, the bizarre, beloved mascot you didn’t know Amazon had
- Jeff Bezos says independent sellers on Amazon are 'kicking' the online retail giant's 'butt' in sales
- EU Launches Probe On Amazon For Anti-Competitive Practices
Amazon avoids a union in Alabama, but scrutiny over labor practices is here to stay have 309 words, post on www.cnet.com at April 12, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.