What just happened? Volvo has announced it will only sell electric vehicles by 2030, phasing out all car models with combustion engines, including hybrids, over the next nine years. The company previously said it’s aiming for 50 percent of global sales to consist of fully electric cars by 2025 and wants to become an all-electric automaker within twenty years; this new 2030 target represents an "acceleration" of the electrification strategy. Swedish company Volvo, owned by the Chinese Geely Group, says the new target date is driven by strong early demand for its first EV, the XC40 Recharge that launched last year, and an expected expansion of EV charging infrastructure. Volvo also said it is increasing its focus on online sales. The company will be rolling out several new fully-electric models in the coming years, all of which will only be available online. Volvo’s first all-electric vehicle, the XC40 Recharge "To remain successful, we need profitable growth. So instead of investing in a shrinking business, we choose to invest in the future – electric and online," said Håkan Samuelsson, Chief Executive of Volvo Cars. "We are fully focused on becoming a leader in the fast-growing premium electric segment." Several countries in… Read full this story
- Polestar electric vehicle won’t lose $7,500 tax credit because of Volvo sales
- Car Manufacturers that Launched Their First Electric Vehicle in 2019
- Mercedes, Audi to launch electric vehicles in 2020
- Electric vehicles pose a major threat to autoworkers' jobs
- EV sales rise by 80% to 77,000 units
- India Unveils Plan to Replace All Cars With Electric by 2030
- Hyundai Begins Feasibility Study For Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle in India
- California electric vehicle sales are up. But will we reach the 5 million goal by 2030?
- MG Motor unveils ZS electric vehicle, launch in January
- Jaguar Land Rover’s owner unveils plans to invest millions of pounds in British plants for electric vehicles
Volvo will only sell all-electric vehicles by 2030, is moving all EV sales to online-only model have 308 words, post on www.techspot.com at March 2, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.