Quantum computers are coming Watch Now As an editor, I often gave my writers this admonition: Never promise something without having established at least one feasible means of delivery. A promise should never be something to which one resorts in the absence of reason, otherwise every marriage would be predicated upon perjury. As a writer, I’ve learned to omit the word “promise” from my commitments, because editors tend to interpret “I promise” more as a statement of desperation than commitment. It is in that context that we can confidently assert quantum computing has an abundance of promises . If it ends up working, QC will enable the class of large, complex matrix calculations that comprise the bulk of machine learning work, to be executed in moments rather than days, or moments rather than years — or, with enough data in hand, moments rather than centuries. There is a weirdness in physics that we don’t really comprehend, but maybe we don’t have to comprehend it to acknowledge it. We may very well have to comprehend it anyway, however, in order to make good use of it. If this is your first ZDNet Status Report , here’s how it works: Here, we… Read full this story
- PE investing: Look before you leap
- Report: Deion Sanders a candidate for Florida State head coaching job
- Bitcoins worth $100K stolen over public wireless network
- Drought assistance worth $320m unveiled – as it happened
- Microsoft's first in-depth diversity report shows progress remains slow
- Economic and institutional restructuring for the next Nigeria
- Samsung heir faces long jail term in South Korea's 'trial of the century'
- Elon Musk is set to unveil Tesla's plans for fully self-driving cars that will hit the streets 'no later than next year' - but experts say the billionaire doesn't have the technology to pull it off
- Firefox at 15: its rise, fall, and privacy-first renaissance
- How do you get 5G coverage, what’s the price and how is it different to 4G?
Is quantum computing worth the leaps of faith? [Status Report] have 320 words, post on www.zdnet.com at March 8, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.