Which is better for Earth : an electric or gas-powered vehicle? The answer to this question might seem blindingly obvious: Of course electric cars must be better for the environment, because they don't have exhausts and so don't emit greenhouse gasses as they drive. However, electric vehicles (EVs) aren’t perfect, and they come with their own set of polluting problems. Notably, their batteries contain components, such as lithium , that require a significant amount of energy to source and extract. But battery production is just one part of an electric car’s life span. A 2014 study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences looked at the entire life cycle of an EV’s emissions, from mining the metals required for the batteries to producing the electricity needed to power them, and then compared this with the average emissions of a gas-powered vehicle. The team found that when electric vehicles are charged with coal-powered electricity, they're actually worse for the environment than conventional gasoline cars. In much of the world, however, national grids are now clean enough for EVs to beat their gasoline-powered counterparts when it comes to pollution and greenhouse-gas emissions during their lifetimes. “Only when connected… Read full this story
- A million-mile battery from China could power your electric car
- Lyft will transition to 100 percent electric vehicles by 2030
- Column: California’s gas tax is going up again. You should be pleased
- A home no more
- Dear humans: why can't you all be a bit nicer?
- Austrian GP driver ratings
- Martin Brundle's F1 verdict: New season, old school racing action
- PlayStation 5: Everything We Know About It -- Reveal Event, Launch Games, PS5 Release Date Rumors, And More
- PlayStation 5: Everything We Know -- Launch Games, Reveal, PS5 Release Date Rumors, And More
- Everything We Know About PS5: Next-Gen Games, Design, Price And Release Date Rumors
Is an electric car better for the planet? have 306 words, post on www.livescience.com at February 28, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.