In context: Part of what led to Stadia Games and Entertainment division’s early demise is the underwhelming number of subscribers the platform managed to garner since November 2019. Although Google has not posted official numbers, Bloomberg quotes insiders stating Stadia missed controller sales and monthly active user count goals “by hundreds of thousands.” The low adoption rates may be attributed to how the platform was marketed and released. This is arguably the biggest waste of money and resources in Google’s history. Stadia broke from Google’s typical “start small and build” philosophy of product development. Unlike other Google products with long beta cycles, like Gmail, it was marketed and hyped as a full service that was ready to kill off consoles. Stadia head Phil Harrison said it was “the future of gaming.” Speaking with anonymous sources, including former employees of the now-defunct development house, Bloomberg and Wired uncovered some details surrounding what was going on leading up to the closure. Harrison is a veteran of console gaming, having served as an executive at both PlayStation and Xbox. While many in the Stadia team knew the platform was not ready to take on console gaming, Harrison was not dissuaded and “positioned Stadia… Read full this story
- Apple, Google, Amazon and Facebook bet on gaming. Here's how they've done so far
- Michael Barrymore's attempts to revive his long-running 90s game show Strike It Lucky online 'fall flat as viewers plummet from 5k to just 150'
- The 25 greatest video game consoles – ranked!
- The best Ubisoft games
- Sony’s buy-in shows just how monstrous Epic Games has become
- Indie game devs are taking a gamble on Google’s Stadia, and it’s paying off
- Microsoft needs to bring these games to the Xbox Series X
- Amazon Echo Studio vs. Google Home Max
- Former PlayStation Boss Says AAA Game Development Is Unsustainable
- International Insider: Sky Scripted Restarts; BAFTA TV Craft Awards; Lionsgate Pride Shrinks; Depp’s Defenders
Insiders say Google lacked the focus and discipline to run a successful game studio have 315 words, post on www.techspot.com at February 28, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.