(Subscribe to our Today’s Cache newsletter for a quick snapshot of top 5 tech stories. Click here to subscribe for free.)
Billionaire Elon Musk said on Monday bitcoin was “on the verge” of being more widely accepted among investors as he expressed his support for the cryptocurrency in a chat on social media app Clubhouse that drew thousands of listeners.
The comments followed his use of the “#bitcoin” tag on his Twitter profile on Friday, which pushed the crytocurrency up 14%.
Musk, CEO of Tesla Inc, is known for making comments on Twitter that move markets and he acknowledged this during his debut on the invitation-only app Clubhouse.
“I am a supporter of bitcoin,” he said.
“I was a little slow on the uptake,” he said, adding he should have bought it eight years ago.
“I think bitcoin is on the verge of getting broad acceptance by conventional finance people.”
Bitcoin last traded up 3.7% at $34,390, having surged over 300% in 2020.
On the wide-ranging chat Musk discussed memes, Mars, his companies, and vaccines, among other topics. He also interviewed Vladimir Tenev, co-founder of online stock broker app Robinhood, which is under fire for blocking retail investors from purchasing GameStop stock.
GameStop stock surged some 400% in the past week after retail investors banded together to buy shares in the U.S. video game retailer, sending hedge funds scrambling to cover losing bets.
Tenev said the market rumour was untrue that Citadel Securities – the market-making arm of billionaire hedge-fund manager Ken Griffin – had pressured Robinhood into blocking retail investors.
“That’s just false,” Tenev said, adding that Robinhood temporarily halted trading to meet regulatory capital requirements.
Musk last week tweeted “Gamestonk!!,” which many in the market interpreted as an apparent show of support for small investors. “Stonks” is a tongue-in-cheek term for stocks widely used on social media.
Musk also chatted about COVID-19 vaccines, saying he expected an avalanche of them soon. He added that authorities should focus on giving out the first dose of vaccines soon and worry about the second shot later, to speed things up.
- Elon Musk says cave diver he called a 'pedo' did not have the skills to save trapped children and sought the limelight for his own financial gain in docs to dismiss case as trial nears
- Could Elon Musk save the jobs of GM workers? Tesla founder 'would be interested' in taking over General Motors' idled factories
- Beware of fake Elon Musk! Hackers take over Twitter accounts of firms and even members of Congress to pretend to be SpaceX and Tesla boss in latest bitcoin scam
- Will Elon Musk's LA tunnel make riders SICK? First riders complain of motion sickness on 'white knuckle ride'
- Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster which he fired into space aboard the world's most powerful rocket has now flown beyond Mars, SpaceX confirms
- Elon Musk Hypes Tesla Insurance and Batteries, Backs Off Robotaxi Claims
- Elon Musk won't stop calling diver a pedophile
- Elon Musk's high-speed LA transport tunnels rely on technique used in roller coasters 100 years ago - and they went out of style due to stability issues, experts say
- Elon Musk Unveils Tesla's Model Y Compact SUV
- Elon Musk Twitter rant a 'case study' in how not to handle a crisis, experts say
- Elon Musk Claims Project Will Hook Your Brain Directly to Computer by 2020
- Elon Musk’s Hyperloop Is a Political Manifesto, Not Just a Tech Trick
- Hyperloop test track is coming to California - and Elon Musk's revolutionary mode of transport could be FREE at off-peak times
- Elon Musk announces Tesla's new European Gigafactory will be in Berlin
- Meet the Elon Musk of Assisted Suicide, Whose Machine Lets You Kill Yourself Anywhere
- Elon Musk’s Boring Co. is run by a former bar owner who can quote Ayn Rand
- Brainiac Steve Jurvetson On DFJ, Elon Musk And The Growing Divide Between Rich And Poor
- Elon Musk rips Boeing’s $90 million space trips as cost tops SpaceX’s
- Musk's Tesla makes a bid for Musk's SolarCity energy company
- So you're thinking about investing in bitcoin? Don't
Elon Musk says bitcoin "on the verge" of being more widely accepted have 684 words, post on www.thehindu.com at February 1, 2021. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.