The Australian space and satellite sector has urged for the Australian government to introduce policies and regulations to ensure there is compliance within the industry, without hindering potential growth opportunities. These calls have been vocalised by the likes of Optus, Nova Systems, and Vocus, with each making submissions as part of a Standing Committee inquiry into developing Australia’s space industry. Vocus noted in its submission [PDF] that the Australian government should pursue policy and regulatory settings for the space and satellite sector that develop and maintain sovereign capability for both civil and defence space applications, while also incentivising private sector investment and local industry development. “Government policy settings should be set in such a way as to promote and maximise private investment and develop private industry. Private sector investment is fundamental to enabling competition, building scale, and developing capability which will deliver the best outcomes for consumers, businesses, and government agencies,” Vocus stated. Similar recommendations [PDF] were made by Optus, which highlighted it was “important that Australia maintains an Australian-based and operated satellite capacity, particularly with regards to national security capabilities”, and urged for the Commonwealth to make it a priority while also ensuring that administrative and regulatory frameworks are… Read full this story
- No one can hear you scream for funding in space - especially if you're a satellite operator
- Australia to get its own space agency, government says
- Opioid crisis hits Australia; overdose deaths surge
- Space Race 2.0: Get ready for commercial space exploration within YEARS, says expert
- Australia now faces its own opioid crisis, despite warnings
- Outer Space Treaty, another one for Trump to dump
- Who owns space? A guy called Dennis
- US defense deal with Australia aimed at 'ensuring regional stability'
- EU to Expand Space Program
- Australia follows familiar, grim path to an opioid crisis
Australia's space sector wants policies introduced to ensure satellite sovereignty have 290 words, post on www.zdnet.com at February 15, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.