The Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) expects intervention in the cyber attack response of companies considered critical infrastructure to only occur in “rare circumstances”. As described in the current form of the Security Legislation Amendment (Critical Infrastructure) Bill 2020, government assistance will be provided to entities in response to significant cyber attacks on Australian systems. Tech giants operating in Australia, such as Amazon Web Services, Cisco, Microsoft, and Salesforce, have all taken issue with these “last resort” powers. “In the rare circumstance of a serious cybersecurity incident impacting the availability of key critical infrastructure assets, Part 3A, Division 5 of the Bill provides a mechanism for government to directly assist an asset owner or operator in rapidly responding to, and remediating a cybersecurity incident,” the ASD explains in its submission [PDF] to the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security (PJCIS). ASD may be requested by the Secretary of the Department of Home Affairs to assist in responding to a serious cybersecurity incident. The Minister for Home Affairs must consult with the asset owner or operator before authorising the Secretary to request ASD assistance, and the measures authorised must be “proportionate and technically feasible”. Before stepping in, the government must be… Read full this story
- The Internet of Things Security Institute releases an Security Framework for Smart Cities and Critical Infrastructure.
- Republican's 'critical infrastructure' bill riles environmentalists
- The Latest: Austria says NZ attack suspect visited there
- Australia says a ‘state actor’ hacked lawmakers
- Cameroon moves towards its national cyber risk assessment with the support of the Commonwealth
- Cyber-sabotage, wildfires, weather—a web of threats to the power supply could leave Californians in the dark
- Is the U.S. ready for more cyber threats? Rep. Susan Davis hosts panel following Mueller news
- Israelis prepare for elections as experts cite cyber threats
- China digital spying poses cyber threat to US, feds warn in SC visit
- All of records erased, doctor's office closes after ransomware attack
ASD says cyber attack intervention will be 'rare' under critical infrastructure Bill have 312 words, post on www.zdnet.com at February 15, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.