What just happened? The dark web has a deserved reputation for being home to criminal activities, but what is reported to have been its largest illegal marketplace has now been taken offline following an operation involving several countries and Europol. The European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation (Europol) writes that DarkMarket had almost 500,000 users, more than 2,400 sellers, and over 320,000 transactions. It had also seen over 4,65 Bitcoin and 12,800 Monero transferred, equal to around $170 million. As with the infamous Silk Road, DarkMarket users mainly traded drugs, counterfeit money, credit card details, SIM cards, and malware. German authorities headed the investigation that led to the arrest of a 34-year Australian citizen alleged to be the market operator near the German-Danish border. The suspect was brought before a judge but refused to speak, reports The Guardian. He is now in pre-trial detention. Officers have closed the marketplace and plan to use the 20 servers in Moldova and the Ukraine to investigate moderators, buyers, and sellers. DarkMarket came to German authorities’ attention during an investigation against the web-hosting service Cyberbunker—located in former NATO bunkers in Germany and Holland—which hosted sites including The Pirate Bay and WikiLeaks. “A shared… Read full this story
- Litecoin and Dash are fast becoming the go-to currency of the dark web
- Sex, drugs and the dark web
- 'Dark web drug dealing kingpin OxyMonster' is finally caught after trying to slip into America for beard-growing competition in Texas - and now faces lifetime sentence
- What is Dark Web?
- Credit, debit card data of half a million Indians up for sale on dark web
- Joker's laughing: Fresh database of half a million Indian payment card records on sale in the Dark Web
- Data of nearly 5 lakh Indian payment cards up for sale on dark web
- The Dark Web comes to DC in Benjamin Percy’s
- The Encryption Dilemma: New Study Finds Dark Web Mostly Used for Crime
- Dave Rubin To Will Smith: Welcome To The Intellectual Dark Web
International operation brings down dark web's largest marketplace have 331 words, post on www.techspot.com at January 13, 2021. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.