The Auburn Tigers are wasting no time in conducting a national head coaching search to replace the recently fired Gus Malzahn. According to a report from AL.com, Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian is expected to interview for the Auburn job after this weekend’s SEC championship game.
This is Sarkisian’s third season with Alabama. In 2016 Sarkisian was an offensive analyst and interim offensive coordinator before leaving for the NFL in 2017. The 46-year-old Sarkisian returned last season as the Crimson Tide’s offensive coordinator.
Prior to Alabama, Sarkisian coached for five years at Washington and two years at USC. While at Washington, the Huskies went 34-29 under Sarkisian. With the Trojans, Sarkisian owned a 12-6 record through one and a half seasons. He was fired after being asked to take a leave of absence from USC.
Auburn announced Sunday that it was firing Malzahn as the 2020 regular season ends for the Tigers after a 6-4 finish.
When Auburn announced the firing, athletic director Allen Greene and school president Jay Gogue released statements explaining the decision. The university was grateful for what Malzahn did, but Auburn believed it was time for a change.
“After evaluating the state of the Auburn football program, we’ve decided that it was time to make a change in leadership,” Greene said. “We appreciate everything that Gus did for the program over the last eight seasons. We will begin a search immediately for a coach that can help the Auburn program consistently compete at the highest level.”
“Coach Malzahn led the Auburn football program with honor and integrity,” Gogue added. “We appreciate his service to Auburn athletics, Auburn University and, in particular, our student-athletes. We wish him and Kristi all the best.”
- The Hill's Coronavirus Report: Moniz says U.S. needs energy jobs coalition and Manchin says Congress is pushing Wall Street solutions that don't work for Main Street; Burr to step aside
- Coronavirus Report: The Hill's Steve Clemons interviews Jane Harman
- Gene Chizik Was Interviewed For Mississippi State Job, Sounds Like He Wants To Coach Again
- USC’s Clay Helton doesn’t expect to lose job after UCLA loss
- The Hill's Coronavirus Report: Chef José Andrés says most political leaders today are not acting with urgency; Dems crafting 'Rooseveltian' relief package
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by The American Investment Council - Trump takes his 'ready to reopen' mantra on the road
- The Hill's Coronavirus Report: Rep. Hurd says China engaged in global disinformation campaign; US unemployment highest since Great Depression
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by The American Investment Council - Dems plot CARES 2 bill; infected Pence aide forces VP precautions
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by The American Investment Council - Pelosi touts $3T bill as Fauci stresses go-slow openings
- Coronavirus Report: The Hill's Steve Clemons interviews Ernest Moniz
- Coronavirus Report: The Hill's Steve Clemons interviews Sen. Joe Manchin
- The Hill's Coronavirus Report: Miami mayor worries about suicide and domestic violence rise; Trump-governor debate intensifies
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Pelosi touts mammoth fifth COVID bill; jobs numbers a gut punch
- Steve Ensminger looks ahead to 2020 offense at LSU
- The Hill's Coronavirus Report: Sen. Barrasso says it's too soon to consider more funding for states; White House faces new challenges
- The Hill's Morning Report - Trump vows federal response to Ohio, Texas shootings
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by The American Investment Council - House to vote today on largest relief bill in US history
- When Ellen DeGeneres complained about the iPhone to Steve Jobs
- Kanye West's former bodyguard Steve Stanulis SLAMS rapper's 'ridiculous rules' and claims he had a meltdown over which elevator button to press
- Coronavirus Report: The Hill's Steve Clemons interviews Michael Steele
Report: Steve Sarkisian expected to interview for Auburn HC job have 604 words, post on 247sports.com at December 18, 2020. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.