What you need to know
- Amazon is said to be in exclusive talks to buy podcast startup Wondery.
- Wondery is known for its true-crime podcasts like Doctor Death, Dirty John, and Over My Dead Body.
- Amazon Music launched podcasts for users in September this year, with over 70,000 titles.
Amazon Music finally added podcast streaming to its platform in September, including original podcasts from radio host DJ Khaled and actor Will Smith. To better compete against rivals such as Spotify , Amazon is reportedly in talks to acquire podcast startup Wondery.
While Wondery was valued at $100 million during its last funding round in June last year, The Wall Street Journal reports that the talks value the startup at over $300 million. Wondery is currently one of the largest independent podcasters in the U.S. As per data from audio analytics firm Podtrac, Wondery was the sixth most popular podcast publisher in America in September, with over 60 million downloads and streams of its shows. Some of Wondery’s most popular podcasts include Dirty John, Doctor Death, Blood Ties , and Over My Dead Body.
Wondery is expected to report more than $40 million in revenue this year, out of which about 75% could come from advertising. The rest of it is expected to come from licensing to TV, to subscription services like Audible and Stitcher Premium, as well as Wondery’s premium subscription service.
Amazon Music is the third-largest music streaming service by subscriptions, behind market leader Spotify and Apple Music . By acquiring Wondery, Amazon stands a chance to bolster its position in the highly competitive podcasting market. Last year, ad revenue from podcasts increased by 48% to $708.1 million in the U.S., according to data from the Interactive Advertising Bureau. It is estimated to cross $1 billion by 2021.
Have you listened to this week’s Android Central Podcast?
Every week, the Android Central Podcast brings you the latest tech news, analysis and hot takes, with familiar co-hosts and special guests.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more .
A new leak suggests Samsung’s Galaxy S21 Ultra successor will come equipped with continuous optical zoom tech and an in-display selfie camera.
We already have access to great Apple streaming services like Apple Music and Apple TV+ across different platforms. Now is the time for Apple to bring its Podcast vision to Android as well.
The Netgear Nighthawk RAX80 is a fast dual-band Wi-Fi 6 router with simple app-based setup and detailed controls in a web browser. Take control of your network with great software that can make you feel like a home Wi-Fi expert.
If you need to change up the look of your Garmin Lily smartwatch, there are many band options to pick from.
- As GTC Goes Digital, AI Podcast Doubles Down
- Big tech swallows most of the hot AI startups
- Bill Simmons' The Ringer to Produce Daily Podcast for Spotify (Exclusive)
- Spotify introduces ways for fans to directly help musicians in need
- The best smart speakers you can buy in 2020: Amazon, Google, Apple and more
- AutoRip comes to the UK: Amazon's 'gentle bridge' between real and virtual music
- These Entrepreneurs Are Transforming The Middle East’s Startup Scene
- Spotify vs Tidal: which music streaming service is best for you?
- As GTC Goes Digital, AI Podcast Continues
- Are Google, Amazon and others getting too big?
- The Made In America Movement Driven By Innovation, Not Nationalism
- The living room edit: A social distancing to-do list curated by the film fraternity
Amazon may soon acquire podcast startup Wondery to compete with Spotify have 685 words, post on www.androidcentral.com at December 3, 2020. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.