COVID-19 may eventually become a seasonal illness like the flu, but only when the population achieves herd immunity, meaning a sufficient number of people are immune to prevent constant spread, a new study suggests.But until then, COVID-19 will likely spread year-round, a finding that highlights the importance of following public health measures to control the virus, according to the review, published Tuesday (Sept. 15) in the journal Frontiers in Public Health.”COVID-19 is here to stay and it will continue to cause outbreaks year-round until herd immunity is achieved,” study senior author Hassan Zaraket, of the American University of Beirut in Lebanon, said in a statement. “Therefore, the public will need to learn to live with it and continue practicing the best prevention measures, including wearing of masks, physical distancing, hand hygiene and avoidance of gatherings.”Related: 14 coronavirus myths busted by scienceWhat makes a virus seasonal? Many viruses seem to follow seasonal patterns — for example, in temperate regions, cases of the flu regularly peak in winter and dwindle during the summer months. The same is true for certain types of coronaviruses that cause the common cold. Scientists don’t know for sure why these viruses follow a seasonal pattern, but a number of… Read full this story
- WHO: 44 Million Africans at Risk for COVID-19
- Warmer Weather May Slow, Not Stop, COVID-19
- Will Warmer Weather Slow COVID-19 Spread?
- Carnival Cruises to Resume in Florida and Texas From August Despite Congressional Investigation Into COVID-19 Outbreaks
- Why so many people are convinced that they had COVID-19 already
- Why Memorial Day is crucial in the Covid-19 fight
- Doctor Who Treated First COVID-19 Patient in U.S. Worries About Second Wave As Lockdown Is Lifted
- Covid-19 cases cross 50,000-mark in India
- Covid-19: Europe emerges from lockdown as global virus cases top 3.5 millions
- How does temperature affect COVID-19?
COVID-19 may become a seasonal virus have 308 words, post on www.livescience.com at September 15, 2020. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.