Washington (CNN)Amid escalating tensions with both North Korea and Iran, President Donald Trump’s advisers hesitated to give him military options fearing the President might accidentally take the US to war and deliberately informed their counterparts in both countries that they did not know what the President would do next, multiple former administration officials tell me. These accounts are contained in my upcoming book, “The Madman Theory: Trump Takes on the World,” which will be published August 11 by Harper Collins. Trump’s relationship with Kim Jong Un has blown hot and cold throughout his presidency but in 2017 as the President dubbed Kim “little rocket man” and the North Korean dictator responded by calling Trump a “dotard,” there was a very real fear amongst senior members of the administration that the war of words might culminate in the President launching military action against Pyongyang. “We used to only think of Kim Jong Un as unpredictable. Now we had Trump as unpredictable,” Joseph Yun, who served as President Trump’s special representative for North Korea policy until 2018, told me. “And I would communicate that.” Trump’s resistance led intel agencies to brief him less and less on Russia Yun recalled that during the… Read full this story
- Treaty exits top Trump adviser’s Moscow talks
- A Comprehensive List of Things Republicans Can No Longer Legitimately Criticize Thanks to Trump
- The Latest: Trump says tough rhetoric led to NKorea summit
- Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- Woodward: Lindsey Graham Suggested Trump Ask China to Kill Kim Jong Un
- Black Panther Star Says Killmonger Would’ve Taken Down Thanos In Avengers: Infinity War
- Avengers: Infinity War Review
- Twitter Blows Up Over Announcement Trump Will Meet Kim Jong Un: ‘Totally Unprecedented’
- Ukraine Is Just The Beginning: Welcome To The Age Of Shadow Wars
- Trump’s 10 Best Celebrity Feuds And Whether They’ll Be Seeking Revenge
Trump advisers hesitated to give military options and warned adversaries over fears he might start a war have 308 words, post on edition.cnn.com at August 6, 2020. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.