President Trump has told reporters he’s planning to ban TikTok from operating in the US. “As far as TikTok is concerned, we’re banning them from the United States,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Friday night. Bloomberg reports that Trump indicated he’s ready to sign a document to order the ban as early as today, either via an executive order or emergency economic powers. “I will sign the document tomorrow,” said Trump on Friday night, indicating that a ban could take effect “essentially immediately.” The threat of a TikTok ban has been lingering since Secretary of State Mike Pompeo mentioned the possibility on July 7th, saying it was “something we’re looking at.” TikTok is a subsidiary of Beijing-based ByteDance, and critics have called out its privacy practices and potential ties to the Chinese government. Pompeo also compared TikTok to Huawei and ZTE, two Chinese companies that have been designated as threats to US national security. Reports on Friday suggested the Trump administration would potentially force TikTok’s Chinese owner to divest it. Such a move triggered rumors about Microsoft potentially acquiring TikTok’s US operations, a move that Trump appeared to downplay on Friday. “[It’s] not the deal that you… Read full this story
- President Trump says he’s having dinner with Apple CEO Tim Cook, praises him for ‘investing big dollars in U.S.A.’
- US President Trump says India's recent tariff hike unacceptable
- US President Trump says he has 'low expectations' for Putin meeting
- US President Trump says will talk trade with Japan PM Abe
- President Trump says he spoke with Saudi king, sending Secretary of State Pompeo for meeting
- Donald Trump says he has 'plenty of time to do some dastardly things' to Iran but rules out a nuclear launch after Mike Pompeo calls attacks on Saudi oil facilities an 'act of war'
- U.S. Supreme Court upholds Trump travel ban, rejects discrimination claim
- Trump says prepared to sustain response on Syria till regime stops using chemical weapons
- Donald Trump says he is withdrawing earlier North Korea-related sanctions
- President Obama says it feels ‘pretty good’ not to be president any more — and he threw some shade in Trump’s direction
President Trump says he will ban TikTok in the US today have 374 words, post on www.theverge.com at August 1, 2020. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.