The Sony Xperia 1 II – or Xperia 1 Mark 2, to give it its less-confusing name – is set to go on sale imminently, with a tweet from Sony itself suggesting the new media-powerhouse phone could arrive within the next couple of weeks.
This comes from Sony’s Spanish-language Twitter account, which put out a tweet saying (translated): ‘The Xperia 1 II will be available on the market later this month’.
But it seems we could see Sony’s newest smartphone very soon, and this is from a source very close to the matter, although the absence of an official announcement from Sony suggests the release date wasn’t meant to be announced just yet.
- These are the best Sony phones
- Check out our Sony Xperia 10 review
- What are we expecting from the iPhone 12?
At time of writing it’s April 14, so ‘later this month’ suggests it’ll be coming in the next two weeks. That’s quite a narrow window for the phone to be released.
Of course, it’s possible that the Sony Xperia 1 II will only be available in Spain in the next few weeks, with a global rollout later, but Sony typically hasn’t staggered its releases by country before, so we’re hoping to see the device available in many regions by the beginning of May.
Now, we’re just waiting to hear a price for the handset, which will likely be unveiled when the device is released.
What is the Sony Xperia 1 II?
The Sony Xperia 1 II is the newest flagship smartphone from the company, designed for people who like to consume content on their phone.
To that end it has a 21:9 aspect-ratio 6.5-inch 4K screen and stereo speakers, as well as a 3.5mm headphone jack for people who like wired audio. It might be perfect, therefore, for people stuck at home and looking for a top-end cinematic experience while movie theaters remain closed.
Sony phones are typically fantastic for gaming too, with high processing power and lots of top games optimized for the longer screen.
While we have had a chance to review the Xperia 1 II yet, we have reviewed the Xperia 1 and Xperia 5, and you can read those reviews to get a feel for Sony’s 2019 smartphones, and some idea of what to expect from the Xperia 1 II.
- Alleged Sony Xperia Z4 LCD digitizer leaks, screen pegged at 5.2" with Quad HD resolution
- Warner Bros. pushes back release date for ‘Aquaman’ movie by two months
- Sony Xperia E4 shows up again, could be announced next month
- Comments for : Sony Xperia Z3 metal frame leaked, August announcement in tow?
- PlayStation Neo pricing and release date leaked by Amazon
- Samsung Galaxy S4 accessories prices and release dates leaked
- Comments for : Sony Xperia Z4 press render leaks, how long can it be before Sony announces its flagship?
- Comments for : Sony Xperia Tablet Z2 specs leak: 10.1-inch Triluminos display, Snapdragon 800, water-resistant properties
- The Last of Us 2 release date rumours – trailers, news and more
- Sony Xperia Nypon to end up named Xperia P?
- Days Gone release date rumours – trailers, news and all you need to know
- Sony Xperia XZ Premium US price and release date announced
Sony Xperia 1 II release date leaked: the media powerhouse could arrive 'later this month' have 524 words, post on www.techradar.com at April 15, 2020. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.