The pandemic is a challenge for all of us. The economic knock-on effects of the health crisis are themselves another crisis. Many people are wildly casting about, not just for solutions, but for someone to take the blame. It’s hard to punish the SARS-CoV-2 virus, of course; whether or not one regards a virus as a living thing, it is most certainly not a legal person in any sense. The office of Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt has apparently decided that, in the absence of any way to sue a virus, the next best course of action is to take to court the entire nation where the disease originated. To that end, Schmitt’s office said yesterday it had filed a lawsuit against “the Chinese government, Chinese Communist Party, and other Chinese officials and institutions” for the COVID-19 pandemic. Further ReadingFox News hosts have measurable effect on COVID cases, study finds The complaint (PDF) first confirms that, as of Monday, there were more than 5,800 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Missouri, from which at least 177 persons had died. It then claims that “the virus unleashed by the Communist Party of China and the Chinese government has left no community in… Read full this story
- US defense chief slams China as rising threat to world order
- Sputtering restaurant sales, obstacles to adoption, xenophobia: All the unexpected ways the coronavirus has impacted the world
- More China coronavirus cases, deaths; U.S. urges citizens off ship
- Quarantined passengers disembark ship in Japan; new China coronavirus cases fall
- America's Got Talent judge Gabrielle Union is set to sue Simon Cowell claiming he put her life in danger by smoking on set
- Trump blasts proposed restrictions on China trade, says national security is no 'excuse'
- Scott Morrison rejects China's claim that mass protests in Hong Kong are showing 'sprouts of terrorism' - as he calls for a peaceful resolution
- China coronavirus cases pass 70,500 as WHO mission gets underway
- How coronavirus spread around the world: Maps reveal the way the deadly infection swept through China and leaped into 26 more countries in just seven weeks
- The coronavirus crisis is raising questions over China's relationship with the World Health Organization
Missouri sues China over coronavirus, claims nation “lied to the world” have 365 words, post on arstechnica.com at April 22, 2020. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.