NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The courtroom was packed Friday for the sentencing of three people convicted in the deadly 2015 East Village gas explosion that killed two men at a restaurant. Nicholas Figueroa was on a first date. Moises Locon worked there. More than a dozen others, including first responders, were injured. FLASHBACK: East Village Gas Explosion Victim Speaks To CBS2 As Deliberations Begin Building owner Maria Hrynenko, 60, contractor Dilber Kukic, 44, and unlicensed plumber Athanasios Ioannidis, 63, were all given the same sentence: 4-12 years in state prison. The defendants faced a maximum of 15 years. Hrynenko cried. Dozens of supporters there for them did too. “It’s not enough. It’s a joke,” said Nixon Figeuroa, Nicholas Figueroa’s father. “What kind of justice did you give us? You didn’t give us no justice. It’s a slap in my son’s face.” FLASHBACK: East Village Gas Explosion Victim Speaks To CBS2 As Deliberations Begin Back in November, jurors found Hrynenko, Kukic and Athanasios guilty on all charges against them, including manslaughter. In March 2015, there was a massive explosion at 121 Second Avenue in the East Village. A seven-alarm fire engulfed three buildings. Two people inside restaurant Sushi Park were killed:… Read full this story
- Investigation Continues Into Cause Of Large NW Baltimore Fire That Injured 5; BGE Says No Gas Leaks Detected
- 5 Injured, Including 2 Children, In NW Baltimore Fire; Officials Investigating Possible Explosion
- ‘A Big Boom’ | Neighbor Says They’ve Never Seen Anything Like NW Baltimore Fire, Possible Explosion
- The Hill's 12:30 Report: Mars rover prepares for landing
- “Scrap villages” might explode in Hà Nội
- Cleveland Strangler dead: Sowell’s horrific crimes from raping his own niece as a child to storing 11 bodies in his home
- Coimbatore: Man convicted for raping, murdering of 7-year-old Pannimadai girl
- Grant Shapps ends any hope of holidays - foreign OR domestic - this year amid backlash at Matt Hancock's 10-year prison sentence for travellers who lie about visiting Red List countries
- 'Evil stepdad raped us for years but CPS dropped case - then we fought back'
- 2 years of Pulwama terror attack: Will not forget, say Rajnath Singh, Shah
Trio Convicted In Deadly East Village Gas Explosion Sentenced To 4-12 Years have 346 words, post on newyork.cbslocal.com at January 17, 2020. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.