What you need to know
- Samsung Electronics appoints Roh Tae-moon as new mobile chief.
- Roh previously led development of the Galaxy series, and is Samsung’s youngest president.
- DJ Koh will continue to oversee the IM business, which includes both the mobile unit and networking hardware.
Samsung is known for routinely switching execs to new roles, and the South Korean brand is now making another management reshuffle. The manufacturer is promoting Roh Tae-moon to oversee its mobile business, with the exec previously leading development of the Galaxy lineup.
Samsung is facing increased competition in the smartphone segment, so it is turning to Roh to “present fresh strategies and revitalize the organization.” Roh served as a development manager in the Galaxy division and was instrumental in Samsung’s recent outsourcing efforts, and at 52 he’s the youngest president at Samsung.
The change allows Samsung to be more flexible at identifying potential growth areas as it tries to fend off Chinese rivals. Samsung is still the world’s largest smartphone manufacturer, but Huawei is inching ever closer in spite of the U.S. ban.
DJ Koh, meanwhile, will still serve as CEO of the IT & Mobile Communications (IM) business, which includes the mobile unit as well as networking hardware.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Steam for Chrome OS would make Chromeboxes even more awesome
If things play out in just the right way Sony and Microsoft have some real competition to deal with. If not, then it’ll still be fun to try and break.
Everything you need to know about the Huawei P40 and P40 Pro
Huawei is getting ready to enter 2020 with a splash thanks to its upcoming P40 and P40 Pro smartphones. Here’s everything we know about the phones’ specs, design, release, and more.
Samsung Galaxy S20 will have a 5x optical zoom according to latest report
According to a recent report out of Korea, optics manufacturer Optrontech is supplying Samsung with prisms for 5x optical zoom in the Galaxy S20.
These motion sensors are perfect for Samsung SmartThings
We’ve compiled a list of SmartThings motion sensors that won’t give you any headaches.
- IAG appoints new tech chief
- Samsung Electronics opens new headquarters for U.S. semiconductor operations
- Mouser Electronics appoints new VP to run Japan operation
- Comments for : Samsung's accomplished new design chief comes from Jony Ive's old studio
- Samsung's accomplished new design chief comes from Jony Ive's old studio
- National Archives of Australia looks for new IT chief
- Samsung Electronics estimates 56 percent jump in profit
- Amid challenges, Samsung changes mobile chief for first time in 6 years
- Samsung Developing Skype, Google Hangouts And FaceTime Rival App
- Samsung announces 3 new tablets: TabPRO 8.4, TabPRO 10.1, and TabPRO 12.2