KOLKATA (WEST BENGAL): A group of academicians, filmmakers, actors, artists, and other professionals from West Bengal have written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, extending their support to the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA), which grants citizenship to persecuted minorities from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Pakistan. “We the people of West Bengal express our sincerest gratitude and unreserved admiration from the deepest core of our heart to you for enacting the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) and through for finally settling this excruciating episode, which has been tormenting and afflicting the Bengali psyche and soul for the last seventy years, since time of partition,” reads the letter, a copy of which was accessed by ANI. Nine signatories — Anjana Basu, Prof Debashish Chowdhury, Arindam Chakraborty, Advocate Joydip Sen, Supriyo Bandyopadhyay, Anindya Pulak Banerjee, Milan Bhowmik, Sanjay Som, and Rantidev Sengupta have confirmed to ANI that they have signed the letter along with others addressed to the Prime Minister, extending support to CAA. “History bears witness to the fact that partition has caused more pain and penury to the Bengali people than any other. A few far-sighted Bengali leaders and thought-leaders in the past had foreseen the calamitous consequences of partition. Their wholehearted efforts resulted… Read full this story
- Legendary actor Obba Babatundé on sports and his December 6th concerts in New York
- Rapper Mac Miller dead at 26
- Hall of Famer and Olympic gold medalist Anne Donovan dies
- How a curse became a blessing: Mauro Ranallo bares all in effort to KO mental health stigmas
- Movie Review: The Last Chase, Starring a Porsche 917 (and Lee Majors)
- Is Calipari ‘ridiculous’ in saying G League robs players of chance to get education?
Academicians, filmmakers, actors, artists from West Bengal write to PM Modi, supporting CAA have 271 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at January 7, 2020. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.