The death toll from a volcanic eruption in New Zealand earlier this month has risen to 19 after police said Monday another person died at an Auckland hospital overnight.
There were 47 people visiting the tourist destination of White Island when the volcano erupted Dec. 9, killing 13 people initially and leaving more than two dozen others hospitalized with severe burns. The latest victim is the sixth person to die in hospitals in New Zealand and Australia in the two weeks since the eruption.
Two of the victims’ bodies have not been recovered after authorities believe they were washed out to sea in a storm soon after the eruption. Helicopter pilots and boat operators helped the injured off the island immediately after the eruption, but emergency services did not return to the island to recover bodies until four days later because they considered the site remained too dangerous.
In a brief statement Monday, police said they had been advised just before 11 p.m. Sunday of the latest death at Middlemore Hospital. Police did not immediately the release the victim’s name.
Many of those killed and injured were Australian tourists who had been traveling aboard the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Ovation of the Seas. Among those hospitalized with injuries were American honeymooners Lauren Urey, 32, and Matthew Urey, 36, from Richmond, Virginia.
White Island, also known by its Maori name, Whakaari, is the tip of an undersea volcano about 50 kilometers (30 miles) off New Zealand’s North Island and was a popular tourist destination before the eruption. It’s unclear if the privately owned island will ever be reopened for tourist visits.
Many people have questioned why tourists were still allowed on the island after New Zealand’s GeoNet seismic monitoring agency raised the volcano’s alert level on Nov. 18 from 1 to 2 on a scale where 5 represents a major eruption, noting an increase in sulfur dioxide gas, which originates from magma.
New Zealand authorities are investigating the circumstances around the disaster.
- Death toll from Texas shooting rampage rises to 22, Trump to visit El Paso
- Death toll of Pakistan train fire rises to 74
- Death Toll From Deadly Chile Mudslide Rises to 15 (PHOTO, VIDEO)
- 12 in critical condition, as death toll in Ijegun pipeline explosion rises to 12
- Death toll from firecrackers factory blast rises to 22 in India
- Death Toll In El Paso Shooting Rises To 22
- Papua New Guinea's Ulawun Volcano Erupts, Spewing 8-Mile-High Column of Ash (Photo, Video)
- Christchurch mosque attack death toll rises to 51 after man dies in hospital
- California wildfires: Death toll rises to 65, searches underway for 630 missing people
- Christchurch terror attack death toll increases to 51
- New Zealand PM vows mosque attacker will remain 'nameless'
- New Zealanders buying up guns as new laws proposed after Christchurch mosque shootings
- 'Watching our mates drop dead': New Zealand's synthetic cannabis crisis
- From England's epic semi-final win over New Zealand to Ireland's underwhelming quarter-final exit... Sportsmail reviews the highs and lows of the Rugby World Cup
- New Zealand's biggest hits featuring Jimmy Neesham and Daryl Mitchell
- Santner, Neesham help New Zealand level series
- Guatemala Volcano Eruption Claims Nearly Hundred Lives (VIDEO)
- 'People are shooting each other for food and water': Bahamas Hurricane Dorian death toll will be 'staggering' with THOUSANDS still missing as bodies pile up and militias are formed to stop looting
- Indonesia flash flood death toll rises
- Death toll rises amid mass protests in Iraq
Death toll from New Zealand volcano eruption rises to 19 have 548 words, post on m.hindustantimes.com at December 23, 2019. This is cached page on TechNews. If you want remove this page, please contact us.