There’s a holiday for practically everything — even pruning your collection of friends on social media. Sunday is National Unfriend Day, which was started in 2010 by late-night TV host Jimmy Kimmel. Shrinking your social circle has a number of benefits, according to Natalie Pennington, a communications professor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, whose dissertation, cited in a university release, focuses on the effects of unfriending and unfollowing through social media. ”Unfriending is the chance to be mindful in how you engage with social media. It is about increasing your awareness of your digital audience so that when you post a status update or scroll a newsfeed, you’re connecting with people who you know and care about,” Pennington said in an email. The average person can’t truly maintain a network of hundreds or thousands of friends. Technically, our brains can only keep up with 150 people, max, according to Oxford University research.But how do you decide when and how to make cuts in your online social circle? Life events can trigger large-scale friending and unfriending patterns, Pennington’s research found — for example, when you move to a new place, you add people as you meet them. People might also choose to… Read full this story
- National volunteer day 2019 held in Hanoi
- National Dog Day 2019: History And How To Celebrate This Day
- Jimmy Kimmel Will Return as Host for 2018 Oscars
- National Coffee Day 2019: Deals, Best Cafes In Woodbridge
- National Volunteer Day 2019 launched in Hanoi
- Best Ways To Celebrate National Margarita Day In NY
- Megyn Kelly Jumps to Ex-Rival Hannity’s Defense in Spat With Jimmy Kimmel
- Jimmy Kimmel’s Wax Figure is Absolutely Terrifying
- Jimmy Kimmel on impeachment: 'This will be the first draft Trump can't dodge'
- Watch Willie Nelson Score ‘High’ Grade on Jimmy Kimmel’s ‘Pot Quiz’
National Unfriend Day 2019: The Jimmy Kimmel holiday returns have 304 words, post on www.cnet.com at November 17, 2019. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.