Democratic presidential hopeful Senator Elizabeth Warren (middle, front row) showed her support for the UAW strikers outside GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck plant. — AFP/VNA Photo NEW YORK — General Motors and the United Auto Workers announced on Wednesday a tentative labour agreement that could end a month-long strike that has paralysed the auto giant. The UAW GM National Council, which includes local union chapters, will convene on Thursday to consider the agreement struck between GM and UAW leadership, the union said in a statement. A majority of UAW members would then need to ratify the agreement. The strike will continue until the council approves the proposed agreement. But union leaders also will decide on Thursday whether to continue striking until all members vote, the UAW said. Neither the UAW nor GM released details of the tentative deal that would end a strike that has now dragged into its fifth week, with mounting costs for both the company and workers. Nearly 50,000 hourly workers have been on strike since September 16. The full employment hit has been estimated at as many as 150,000 people throughout the industry, including tens of thousands of salaried GM workers and auto supply employees. “The number one priority of the… Read full this story
- Ontario school boards, CUPE workers reach tentative deal avoiding strike
- CUPE, province reach tentative deal avoiding strike
- France and UK announce tentative deal to end 'scallop fishing wars'
- Ontario government reaches deal with education workers, avoid strike
- Five things to know about the looming education workers' strike in Ontario
- CUPE, province reach a tentative deal avoiding strike
- D-428 support staff, school board reach tentative agreement
- Awkward moment Donald Trump struggles to use speaker phone as he reaches trade deal with Mexico
- Yemeni govt, separatists close to deal on ending Aden stand-off - sources
- Eiffel Tower strike ends after deal to tackle long waits
UAW leaders reach tentative deal with GM to end US worker strike have 297 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at October 17, 2019. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.