However, a substantial 33pc are more likely not to use the facilities when the new pay-for-charge system kicks in. Overall, 80pc are in favour of a pay-as-you-go system but a subscription deal, favoured by 20pc, will reduce per-unit cost. The ESB customer survey of 1,800 people also found 90pc support for a planned ‘hogging’ levy for vehicles left too long at a charging point. Such overwhelming support for an ‘overstay fee’ reflects the daily frustration experienced by many. The new charging era will begin soon. Prices and details of fast-charger costs will be announced first and are expected to kick in a few weeks after that. Costs for using ordinary chargers will be revealed before the end of the year. Users will be encouraged to register in advance. Cost will be based on the amount of energy you use, rather than how long it takes – and most of those surveyed (72pc) favour that, but 28pc would prefer it to be time-based. Details of the survey provided a backdrop to a recent meeting between the Irish EV Owners Association and ecars, which runs the charging infrastructure. The meeting heard, for example, that chargers are sustaining significant damage from users. The… Read full this story
- State measures aimed at charging hybrid and EV owners fees for road repairs gain momentum
- Tesla reveals just how owners will be charged to Supercharge
- GE’s WattStation Connect lets you charge your neighbor’s wheels and wallet
- Could a pending measure in North Carolina signal the ill-fated future of EVs in the US?
- As more EVs plug in, can our power grid step up? We ask the experts
- Charge of the EV Brigade
- Speed Bumps Ahead for Electric-Vehicle Charging
- BMW i3 vs. Chevy Spark EV: Bavaria and Detroit may be closer than you think
- When will EVs overcome short range, long charges and big price tags?
- Automakers Hope to Make Money on Used EV Batteries
Most EV owners plan to pay as they go for charging have 311 words, post on www.independent.ie at October 9, 2019. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.