As Hillary Clinton’s sparring partner in her 2016 general election debate prep, I was part of the team that helped get her ready for both the predictable and the unthinkable. And despite what happened on Election Night, to most of America there was no question she won those debates. So when a Democrat says the party needs someone who can out-Donald Donald in 2020, I stop listening. We already have a Donald. And to give credit where credit is due, he nails the part. Beating Trump does not require becoming Trump. If it did, we could go ahead and swear Alec Baldwin in as the 46th president of the United States.Story Continued Below Instead, Democrats need someone whose natural self matches up well against Trump’s preternatural self. Someone who can calmly respond to him but—and here’s the hard part—does not respond to his attacks with a faux-macho mirror image. It’s that second response that Trump is so good at triggering in his opponents, especially the male ones. And responding to Trumpian chest-beating with wannabe-Trumpian chest-beating doesn’t work. Which is exactly why I think, contrary to some Democratic voters’ worries, a woman nominee might be our best bet in 2020. Tonight’s… Read full this story
- Trump Blasts 'Self-Righteous Hypocrites' Abandoning His Candidacy
- Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump: Inside the Slugfest that Was the First Presidential Debate
- Who won the ITV general election debate? Our snap verdict on the seven-way clash
- False Idol — Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump
- Melania Trump, Bill Clinton, et al.: Why the Spouses Behind the Candidates Are the Most Interesting Ever
- Full Transcript: Clinton and Sanders Face Off in Florida Debate Ahead of Primary
- Donald Trump is the man no one in Britain wants to dance with
- Trump is becoming politically radioactive
- Why Trump keeps calling women 'nasty'
- I'm Black and Jewish, and at Tonight's Debate I Want to Hear How Democrats Plan to Defeat White Nationalism | Opinion
Why Only a Woman Can Win a Debate Against Trump have 331 words, post on www.politico.com at September 12, 2019. This is cached page on Technology Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.